1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building Media Server....have lots of questions!

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by frightking, Oct 15, 2013.

1. frightking

frightking Newbie

My plan is to build a dedicated media server from a PC I have laying around. It will operate with a quad core AMD processor, 4 GB of RAM, a small 120GB internal harddrive for startup and software and to start with a 1 TB harddrive for videos/music (I would like to make it expandable up to 6 or 8 TB in the future). I would like to use the Ubuntu OS with MediaPlex Server to feed the videos out to all my devices. It will be hardwired into the wireless router. My questions are these: 1) does this sound feesable? Does anyone have any suggestions on it? and 2) I want to be able to access the Media Server via a windows laptop to transfer movies into it and for general maintenance...is this possible? (I beleive someone said this is called being "headless"?)

This is a new project for me and am trying to save a little $. Also I am pretty much a n00b so....be nice folks. If I have posted this in the wrong place I would be greateful if someone could let me know.

Thanks folks!

repairmyphone likes this.
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes on both accounts & enable filesharing between pc & laptop.

3. frightking

frightking Newbie

So is there somewhere that I can get directions on how to set up the "headless" part of this...meaning being able to access this from a laptop operating with windows to be able to transfer files to the server or do general maintenance?

4. ddp

what windows are on the laptop & pc?

5. frightking

frightking Newbie

Windows 8 on the laptop and Ubuntu on the Server.

6. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

that actually sounds fine a lot of people also do file sharing through tons of other applications there is p.m.s also known as playstation media server for streaming to ps3 consoles it's a java script that does a good job of streaming video it works on mac linux and can be worked into windows you can also find a lot of media kits i think you will be fine using linux but remember this one key thing make sure you use a version of linux that supports file sharing and media access because just because you can view it doesn't mean it will play without media access ubuntu and linux mint both do these and quite well i recommend linux mint because you can upgrade over the top of your o.s without screwing up your network settings it is based off of ubuntu but it has a amazing feature it uses html 5 and does not use flash player because flash player is no longer updated for linux the last version was 9.0 for ubuntu where because you don't have to worry about flash on linux mint you get youtube access and even better you get all the features of ubuntu

7. ddp

last post was just under a yr ago if you didn't notice.