1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media player recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by farslayer9, Dec 6, 2013.

1. farslayer9

farslayer9 Member

Last year I bought a NeoTV 550 in order to play my ISOs through my home theater. Problem is that the device never worked right, even after latest firmware updates. Half the time it won't come on and has to be unplugged, which then corrupts the local databases that have to then be rebuilt. Now the front USB doesn't work right, in order to view videos I have to rebuild the database everytime, regardless of which hard drive I plug into the front (if plugged into the rear USB then the problem doesn't happen, drives are free of defects after scanning). Some blu-ray ISOs have improper audio. Network performance is horrible, it only has a 10/100 NIC that constantly flaps. So, I'm looking to toss this piece of junk and replace it with something new.

In particular, I'm looking at the KDLINKS HD720 and HD700. My only real requirements are the ability to mount and play DVD and Blu-ray ISOs stored on a NAS (actually shares on my server) AND it must be able to bitstream audio over HDMI (pass thru). Does anyone have any experience with these players or maybe have another suggestion?

repairmyphone likes this.
  2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Drop the ISO format. Just use the folders version (what the file structure would look like if you burned it to a disc), it will increase your device playback options.

3. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

honestly i have to agree drop the iso convert the movies to mkv mp4 or mp4 hd there are several programs that allow this feature and your files will access quicker

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I've used WD TV Live for about a year now. Mainly use it for playback of .iso files, .mkv files and Netflix. .iso files and .mkv files are located in my NAS and everything works smoothly. Only complain I have about WD TV Live is its UI, which is bit slow/annoying at times. But it is, after all, a huge improvement over my previous media tank (Popcorn Hour). And best of all, priced at < €100 here in Finland.