1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No video from HDMI connecting laptop to TV, other solutions possible?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by mhodge44, Jan 29, 2010.

1. mhodge44

mhodge44 Member

So here is all of my components that are hidden within my TV stand:
    Reciever: Onkyo TXSR806
    50" Plasma,
    Xbox 360 and Wii
    Digital Cable Box
    Network-attached external drive: D-Link DNS-323
    Modem and wireless router.
    Dell Studio 17 laptop with HDMI

I just bought the laptop a few weeks ago because I was hoping to make everything more compatible. That is also why I bought the DNS-323 but I have no idea how to connect that to anything other than the network so I see it on my laptop. All video signals run through my receiver with one HDMI out running to the TV. But back to the laptop, when I first had the computer, I plugged it into the TV and had video but no sound. I accidentally pulled the HDMI without unplugging anything and none of the equipment liked it to much when that happened. Now when I plug the laptop into the TV I have no video, although after further studying I have gotten the sound to work.
    Now the main question is, is what could I do I need to do to get the video to work. I don't think it messed anything up when I pulled the HDMI cable because the sound still works. I know the HDMI ports on the receiver still work because I tested other equipment on them. I know the problem wasn't the actual HDMI cable because I tried several of them. I would like to assume that the HDMI port was not messed up on the computer, but I don't know. Is there drivers on my computer for the HDMI port that I can reinstall? Is there some kind of video setting I need to change on the computer? Is there a way to see the computer screen on the TV by way of the Xbox or NAS drive instead?

My ultimate goal is to get any equipment that can communicate together to communicate together. It would be great if I figured out a way to do it all wirelessly, but if the HDMI is the best method then thats fine too. Supposedly Vuze will convert a format to something that can be seen on the Xbox, though I have tried that with multiple files and file types and it has never made it past 0% progress on any of them.

Help me out guys, please?

2. mhodge44

mhodge44 Member

Update:
    I plugged the laptop into our bedroom TV and the video worked automatically. So that rules out being a problem with the HDMI cables and ports on the tv, computer, and receiver from being the problem. THe problem has to be some sort of setting somewhere right?

3. gunnerpa

gunnerpa Regular member

make sure the setting in tv set to auto find devices. right click on desktop with hdmi plugged to laptop and tv. click personalise. click connect to external projector or external display.windows mobility centre opens up. click on connect display.your tv should then find the laptop and vice versa. then you can go to your options and either mirror your laptop desktop on the tv drag and drop whatever prog you have on etc.also right click on the speaker icon on bottom left -open playback devices and check there is a hdmi icon that has a green arrow saying plugged in .also select the right hdmi port on your tv that you have the lead plugged in to, hope it works for you and anyone else reading this.sometimes you have to configure the connection as it might not work automatically

4. Vector330ix

Vector330ix Member

DNS-323 is a nice backup device but it has nothing to do for media services. it is a RAID backup device. it would be great way of sharing Itunes with all 5 computers in the house, or having everyone backup there pictures to it. it does not however have any features that would improve your home theater. there are other devices which will do that better. the only way i can see this helping you is if you use it as you would a USB hard drive (which would have been alot cheeper). but that would require you to run the videos you store on the DNS-323 over the wifi from your laptop. you would be better off getting a box that is designed for home theater.

sounds like hdmi was working correctly. i'm assuming because you did not mention any adaptors that your computer had HDMI output. if so then hdmi will send out sound to the tv. this will typically be separately controlled. windows 7 - click on speaker icon click on mixer there is a drop down box to select digital output (atleast there is on the ones i have seen)

ok you have alot going on in this statement. i'm having trouble sifting it out. 1st. hdmi does not need to "shutdown properly" as if it was usb hard drive on a windows 98 computer. just unplug it and the signal goes away. so the video goes away. what do you mean that the other devices didnt like it much? what did they do??? my guess is that your not telling your computer to send the hdmi signal.

yes that is part of your video card. you COULD reinstall that but i dont think that is your issue.

no there is not any way to do that. that is not there designed purpose at all.

sounds to me you have a receiver. that is the job of the receiver to allow the devices to be selectable. you have a good setup. there are ways to send hdmi signal wirelessly but why would you need to? how far away will your xbox be from the tv? and why would it be far from the tv?

in summery it seems your real issue is getting your laptop to show up on the tv. i would suggest looking at your pc to make sure you have your computer configured to send the signal to the tv. look in any software by the video card manufacturer. ATI typically has a menu that clearly says "send to tv" "send to pc" "send to tv and pc"