1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

optical output to receiver with rca input

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by noob1001, Sep 4, 2010.

1. noob1001

noob1001 Member

Hi, i have a samsung led tv 6200 & a yamaha mcr-840 receiver. the problem is i want to watch tv using the amp rather than the tiny inbuilt speaker. however the tv only has optical out (& also hdmi, red/white ports/ components); while the receiver only red/white ports. when i connect the red/white ports between tv & receiver = no sound. do i need to get an converter to get from the optical to red/white ports?

2. aldan

aldan Active member

why not go hdmi between tv and receiver?

3. JVC

JVC Active member

TVs don't have HDMI outputs.

The optical output on tvs is used with the internal tuner, to get 5.1 surround from local HD channels, when using an antenna. That is all it's used for. If you don't have a cable or sat box, with audio outputs, you may be out of luck. I tried looking up a 6200 at Samsung's site, with no luck. There's a 6300 model. It says it has L/R mini-jack audio output. You may have to get a cable adapter from Radio Shack to use that, if your tv has it. Your manual should tell you what you need. Using just L/R output (stereo) though, the best sound you'll get is Dolby Pro Logic II (simulated surround). To get real 5.1 surround from tv, use a cable or sat box with digital audio outputs, or an antenna along with optical output from tv.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

sorry,misread the post.

5. noob1001

noob1001 Member

Thanks JVC. I have check further that all the hdmi, component & av connectors at the tv are for input only. The only output are the optical and headphone. Now i am connnecting the tv with receiver via the headphone jack. But have the turn the volume real high to hear anything...

6. noob1001

noob1001 Member

7. JVC

JVC Active member

Huh?