1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-use speakers from old stereo with a new amp

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by DWJ1-2-3..., Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DWJ1-2-3...

DWJ1-2-3... Newbie

Hello, I have a question which is puzzling me. I have a old Panasonic CD-Stereo System SA-AK29.

The CD player itself is very...buggy. The buttons perform random actions, the remote is almost dead, and the display is fading out. The speakers themselves however are working flawlessly and still have plenty of life and power in them, when the cd player is functioning and high quality audio is being played the sound is great, the built in subs work very well. There is no distortion at all, even at high volumes. I was wondering if i could buy an amp to replace the cd player portion, that is something else to power these speakers. I wont be incorporating them with any other system. I also dont want to spend a lot of money, these are old and a small amp, even if it has no fancy features is good enough.

Thanks

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

aslong as the speaker output is the same i dont see the problem,i seen 1 of them brand new(i googled the model) was in 2002 my m8 paid like $1300 for the panasonic system new.If i recall correctly they're also bi wired (meaning 4 wires for each speaker not 2) so you'd want an amp that supports that.

im using old sharp speakers with a philips sterio and sounds fine.

3. DWJ1-2-3...

DWJ1-2-3... Newbie

Okay so if I find an amp set for 6 ohms and one that uses bi wiring I'll be good? Any suggestions on what amp to get? And what watts are speakers? I don't see that written anywhere.

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i looked on the specs page for the model and says subs are 70 watts and general speakers are 30 watts,it should also be written on the back of the speakers.
    2 channel amp or 2.1 channel if you want to use an external sub woofer.

5. DWJ1-2-3...

DWJ1-2-3... Newbie

Okay so 120 watt amp for 2 channels that can manage 6 ohms. Would you recommend just taking both the positive and negative cables of each soekaer and tieing them together?

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i honestly dont know what would happen if you tied them together.in theory it would work and split the voltage properly,in reality i honestly dont know what would happen.

7. DWJ1-2-3...

DWJ1-2-3... Newbie

It seems some people do that method of tieong the psotive and negatives together or place a metal connector between the posts on the speakers. It seems like this works, this would also make it easier to find an amp, I'm finding it hard to find a amp that supports bi wiring and one at a reasonable price. If it seems unreasonable than I might just decide to buy a new stereo.

8. DWJ1-2-3...

DWJ1-2-3... Newbie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWGTnpj0Ixo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I run my 4 speakers in Bi mode,i assume stereo is what you mean by bi (left channel & right channel)

1st pair speaker medium cabs(arms length high)has = 1x woofer,1x mid, 1x tweet
    2nd pair speaker medium cabs(arms length high)has = 1x sub about 8-6" rear facing,the other two in front at a guess would be woofer & mid or mid & tweet,can't pull the front off to see

works perfectly fine the amp is a piece of crap kenwood integrated amp A-45,however for movies & reasonable sound for music it's excellant,the sound signals get split to the correct speakers by i assume from the crossovers in the speaker cabs

10. DWJ1-2-3...

DWJ1-2-3... Newbie

11. DWJ1-2-3...

DWJ1-2-3... Newbie

And thanks ScorpNZ for the input, are botH pairs of speakers from the same system or did you combine the speakers from two systems?

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

1 pair are from one sony system the other from another different older sony system,neither set are high end or anything & both came from component style sony stereos,

my advice get a decent amp & as high a wattage as poss,then build from there when money comes available,or do as i've done just slap some crap togeather..lol..it works tho,my lounge is sort of rectangular so basiclly speakers in all four corners,guarantee when watching a movie a knock at a door or window will make me think there's someone outside..lmao..it's freaky when playing vid games or when sound travels from one side to the other

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  13. DWJ1-2-3...

DWJ1-2-3... Newbie

Haha nice :) yeah after some furthur research apparently the amp on amazon I posted doesn't even make it a quarter way to its supposed limit due to safety features and an underpowered power brick

14. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i paid $535 for a yamaha av reciever other week rxv 475 model.running a 5.1channel set up in lounge room and gran turismo 5 sounds awesome.still makes me think someones outside when using it to watch blu rays.i got the long lounge room aswell,speaker in each corner (1 each side of lounge,1 each side of tv stand)and i under the tv stand and sub on right hand side.

im looking at the link to the amp looks very basic and i havnt heard of pyle.in saying that the yamaha are $200 minimum for 2 channel av receiver.just depends if you want a cheap brand or a known brand.

15. DWJ1-2-3...

DWJ1-2-3... Newbie

Right, that sounds like a nice system. I have never heard of Pyle either and I realize they are cheap. In my mind I don't really see these speakers as worthy of a nice amp. Granted they sound great but they are old never the less. Now that I think about it can see how it would be a good idea to get a nice amp and then work on upgrading the speakers when time comes.

16. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Exactly however if money is an issue get the best you can afford you can always upgrade the amp later you also need to think about what you intend to use as a player,for me it's a waste of time buying a tuner,cd player,tape or anything else as the computer does the lot even tho i prefer to use an external equalizer not that it's needed as the music/vid players have them as well,also keep in mind signals for movies & music dvd's are digital 5:1, 6:1 & 7:1 so you may want to get one of those receiver amps,or if you really want to kickass get one of those guitar amps & speakers you see at live shows hahaha no dam neighbor will ever drown you out again you can trust me on that,volume level 2 out of 10 is more than enough or take it up to 4 so they hear yours above theirs even tho they're at full volume mwaaaaaaa yeah biatches nobody messes with the zohan

edit: forgot to mention the more volume you put into an amp the more you get out or the more the head unit can produce the louder it will be out of the amp,only learnt that 2 months ago reading about amps n stuff i had no frick'n idea,i always thought the amp itself would act as a arghhh crap whats the word i'm looking for,ok a governor so no matter what you put it in the max sound output would always be determined by the max the amp can output,turns out to be not so

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  17. DWJ1-2-3...

DWJ1-2-3... Newbie

Wait so what happens if I don't have a proper receiver and just send the 5.1 or 7.1 audio signal through the amp and to the speakers straight from say a computer or DVD player? It still works doesn't it?

And about the source volume being turned up to get more sound out of the amp, if you turn up the volume on the source output up resulting in a stronger signal, will that mean the amp will not have to work as hard to get the speakers to a higher volume?

18. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Yes it will work fine keep in mind my amp is only stereo however i send 5:1 6:1 etc to the amp the signal then is split by i assume the crossovers in the speaker cabs basically giving me a fake mutli channel sound obviously if i had the correct speakers & amp the sound would be much more theater like & most probably far superior than what i'm getting now

work as hard ? it'd would pay to read up on, i spose it's called pre amp, i'm not sure if too much would damage the amp itself as master sound volume from the computer which lets face it is most probably a piss weak low preamp wattage are not one & the same,what i do know is the higher the wattage the main amp can produce can be extraordinary when placing volume at full from the computer & requires less volume turning at the amp as the computer would act as a governor or a resistor,what i've done is set computer vol to max,i set the amp to desired level that's not high nor low,i then use the media player as my volume output control & increase or decrease as desired,you have to be careful as some media players have software amplification set to max (not to be confused with vol levels) where other don't hence why i use the media player itself to control vol levels,with a good high wattage amp the sound can literally blow womens clothes off mwaaaaaaaa

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  19. DWJ1-2-3...

DWJ1-2-3... Newbie

Cool, well thanks for all the help guys! If anything comes up I'll be sure to ask u guys :)

Happy Listening

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.