1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEST allround tv for £800 - £900

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RaffaRed, Dec 19, 2011.

1. RaffaRed

RaffaRed Member

Hi , i don't know if this has already been commented on but im ready to replace my 6 yr old 37 inch Toshiba LCD. The Tv will be the main tv in the household and will be used for general tv via the virgin media V+HD box ( soon to be a Tivo box if the mrs gets her way ). The tv is also hooked up to a PS3 and a XBox 360 and probably gets about 5 - 10 hours of gaming time per week. I have seen a LG47LW650T at around £850 and was wondering if anybody has any comments on this model or any other model that would fit my needs. Also i have read about input lag when gaming...i dont know how my toshiba fairs in this department but some advice on the for-mentioned subject would help greatly. Many thanks in advance

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

ive heard bad stuff about LG.here in australia we have sanyo 46inch leds going out at $899,sony bravias 46 inch LED for $899 and samsung 46 inch series 5 leds for $1299.even seen an LG 3D and a sanyo 3D led tv for $999.hopefully i will get myself a sanyo or sony once the price drops even more after xmas.looking in the store that tv that looked to have the best picture was a samsung think it was series 8 led but it was kinda out of my price range.I look at a toshiba lcd tv and the pixels seemed to me like they wernt blended properly.looked like a bunch of little squares on the screen with pictures inside them.

3. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

I'm really starting to like the new Sony models (HX & NX models). For LED, stay away from Samsung, yes their bezel/frame looks the best/thinnest, but you’re buying a TV for the picture, and Samsung LED's are just horrible especially with that glossy/reflective screen. Go to your nearby store and see for yourself, that glossy screen is just to catch customer’s eyes "oo shiny", but then when you stare at the screen (squinting) because of the reflections, uniformity and clarity go out the window.

With Plasma's however, Samsung are one of the best (D7000 & D8000 models). But since you'll be doing a lot of gaming, then Plasma is out the window, since they still get IR, even if you break it in.

I would recommend the Sony KDL46NX720, it's a really nice TV, and cheaper than most LED's too, which is surprising for Sony. If that's too expensive, then the Samsung LN46D630 or LN46D610 would be a second choice. Don't be fooled that it doesn't have an LED backlight, it's still a very good picture, better than most LED's I've seen, not to mention it also has a matte screen so less reflections there. It's a lot cheaper too, but that's because it has less features (no 3D, etc). But I would definitely give the Sony NX720 a look, definitely one of the best LED LCD’s and bang for your buck TV I've seen this year. And if you can live without 3D, then take at look at Sammy's Series 6 (2011) LCD's for sure too.

4. cactikid

cactikid Active member

the local shop near me used to sell the lg and now stopped out of 10 sold maybe 3 or 4 would come back faulty,i bought a samsung and returned it because the cable input i was using at the time was crap and it ruined the picture and replaced it with a panasonic which i think are one of the top makes out there and long lasting for me,the main tv i use is the pioneer 50" kuro a bit outdated but fantastic picture,you do have to see tvs in full operation to see the good and bad things .one thing that gets over looked is how many inputs you need on tv like hdmi or scart which maybe phased out by now.

5. RaffaRed

RaffaRed Member

Well Mike , i bought the tv on boxing day ( LG47LW650T)...its nice but the input lag is sooo bad... am thinking of replacing it if currys will exchange it..I will have a look at your recommendations. Do you know the input lag figures for the sony models you mentioned? Thanks

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

here in australia the big stores buy the LG tvs and stock them.the smaller asian run places where you get a bargain refuse to stock or order the LG's as they cant get the insurance required for it due to a high failure rate.

mike how does the sony KDL46EX520 compare??.

7. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

I havent experience any lag with gaming with the Sony HX or NX models. And its response time is pretty decent for an LCD, not as good as a Plasma, but still a lot better than most LCDs.

The one thing I really like about the EX520 is the matte screen. It does great blacks, and okay colours. But its picture sharpness is not that great, and it has mediocre screen uniformity (even for an LED LCD), however I would say it is a better choice than Samsungs LEDs, especially that its much cheaper. But the picture quality isnt enough for me to recommend it over the step-up NX model (I’ll be giving a review on this model soon), I find it to be one of the best TV’s of 2011, and best bang for your buck. They should start to drop down in price too (since Sony is leaving the LCD market)