1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung DLP Light Engine

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by vanceattack, Jul 28, 2010.

1. vanceattack

vanceattack Member

Hey guys, I've recently had a lot of "dead" pixels appearing on my screen and the research I've done indicates that this problem is the light engine in my television. I've been trying to find a parts list so I could get the exact model number that I'm looking for but I'm having no luck finding it. I plan to make a few phone calls tomorrow to Samsung and to a local tv repair shop, but it's always a good choice to post in a techie forum as well. I was hoping that anyone here could give me some insight into where I can find the parts list, the actual price of one, and if at all possible how to install it (I've taken apart the tv before, but guides are so much easier.)

So here's the info on the tv.

Samsung 50' DLP TV
    Model Code: HL-S5086WX / XAA
    Serial No: B18E3CeLC04659J
    Version: PB02

P.S. I'm already aware that light engines aren't THAT cheap, but it's cheaper than buying a new tv.

2. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

How old is the TV? Has it already needed repairs by you since you "opened it up"? If the part is that expensive and if you're sure that's the only thing wrong with set, it seems to be a crap shoot and all you'll end up with is a maybe fixed TV or spare parts for set that's not working. I would get professional estimate and if the cost is high, would opt for a newer technology set. Let's face it, DLPs are passe now, gone the way of CRTs and dinosaurs. Get an LED or LCD. Nothing is built to last anymore-planned obsolescence.Just MHO.

3. vanceattack

vanceattack Member

The tv is about 4 years old. The only thing I've had to replace inside of the TV is the lamp, but during this replacement I decided to open up the tv to have a look just for curiosity sake. I definitely know that it's pretty out of date technology wise, but I'm about as broke as they come. Between a 350$ part or spilling 1,200$ to get a tv of the same size it's pretty much a no brainer on that decision.

4. vanceattack

vanceattack Member

I just got off the phone with Samsung tech support and they said that the problem is caused by a bad DLP chip. They authorize one free replacement of the DLP chip on all DLP tvs. I have to admit that this is a very pleasant turn of events. You can go on ahead and close this topic!

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Aren't you glad you called Samsung. I hope they are right in their assessment of the situation. You need to let us know how all of this comes out so the next guy who has the same problem-and it must be common,free part- will know what to ask Samsung about.I hope this fixes your issue. I know what it's like to be poor, been their in my youth.

6. vanceattack

vanceattack Member

Yeah I'll keep the thread up to date on what happens. So far the response from Samsung has been for them to create a ticket and to send it to a local tech to order the part and to repair the television on-site at my home. It's scheduled for 8/4/2010 at noon so I'll update this with as much information as I possibly can then. Maybe I'll even take a few pictures for people who aren't as lucky as myself and have to purchase the part and install it themselves...that is as long as the tech doesn't mind me taking some pictures.

7. jonnyj99

jonnyj99 Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
  8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I'm sure management will not like the spam you offer.Reported

You're fast, it was there and then it was gone.LMFAO

Edit:I figured it twas ye ddp!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010