1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPC Thomson dci 6221 fan noise

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by Gavo28, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Gavo28

Gavo28 Member

Hi all,
    Got the new UPC Mediabox the other day and its driving me mad, the fan never stops on it, even when its in standby mode. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or am i after getting a dodgy one?

Also, if its usual that the fan is constantly on, would it be worth my while changing it for a better one, would it be quieter?

The box is quite loud when on, kinda like a playstation 3, is this usual?

Thanks in advance....

2. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

Gavo if it is a legit box just contact your cable provider and ask for or demand a replacement as your not getting the excellent service that you are used to. Cant see why they wouldn't replace a noisy box.

3. Gavo28

Gavo28 Member

Oh ya its legit, its the UPC Mediabox. I did ring them and the guy just said that its standard that the fan is constantly on....so i decided to come hear and get some actual expertise instead of trusting some upc lemming that barely knows what he's talking about.

The way im looking at it is that if the box is on standby and the fan is still operating then surely the fan will break sooner rather than later...it is only a fan after all. Also im thinking that if i go and buy a better fan and install it then that should reduce the noise, but i cant be sure so was hoping for some advice on that.

4. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

,Cant help you there Gavo with the fan if it was me I would contact them again and DEMAND a replacement box as your tv is now practically unwatchable or tell them you will go to Sly.

5. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

well gav the problem i have with mine is it keeps doing a software update every 2-3 days
    and knocking all my set recordings off :(
    now the only time i hear my fan is when i unplug and plug back in, even then its not that noisy for the hole 2 minutes
    i would'nt go messing around with it or even spend money on it,
    remember its not your box its their`s and they have the right to charge you the €150 and say you broke it by modding it
    ive had 3 replacements all within a year and its the same tech guy that comes out each time and he says he does be flat out changing more boxes than installing
    have you seen anybody else`s box and noticed a difference between them if so
    as dub12dave said demand a replacement say its unwatchable with noise or you are canceling due to your box not been up to standards

6. Gavo28

Gavo28 Member

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately i havent seen this box before so have no idea if mine is louder than anyone elses. Ordered one for my sister though so soon as it arrives ill have the answer to that question.

What i really cant understand is the fan keeping going even in standby mode, its ridiculous.

Has anyone noticed that every so often it revs up and sounds kinda like an air-raid siren?!

I see ur point bout not messing with "their property" but at d same time it is only a fan, shouldnt be any hassle to swap out.

That said im gonna leave it until ive used the new box i ordered and will post back after. I really hope im right and its faulty coz if its not then theyve just gone for the cheapest option and are charging us €5 a month for a piece of junk.

7. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

keep us updated
    but yes your fan should only knock on when you power on the box and quiet'n down after a min

8. Gavo28

Gavo28 Member

hooter007, was just thinking bout what u said about ur preset recordings going off when the software updates, just wanted to say that hasnt happened me at all, set one last friday for the i.t. crowd and its still there even though im sure the software mustve been updated since then....

9. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

well i have about 10 items that either record daily or weekly
    but when i got on to them and asked whats going on, i was asked did i turn my box off by the plug at night 'i said no' then i was informed that i should and that would stop the software updates, i laughed and replyed what if i have something to record while i sleep, then i was told try standby and i replyed to that (not in a smart way) i have done all this and it still makes no difference,
    so after been put on hold and 5 people later, (NOT EXACT WORDS FROM THEM)"i was basicaly told nothing can be done like it or lump it"
    if im not happy with the box that i can return it
    so now with the new upgrade of there system couple of days ago, ill wait and see if it happens in the next week or so!

but even withthat you pause something for an hour press play,pause,rewind,forward a couple of times and then it changes channel
    or watching a channel and press ok to see whats on another,use the arrows to quick and it will now and again change to the info channel or another!

now that happens to a lot of people with the channel changing

but other than them problems and a couple of other small ones the box is ok, he he lol

also if you need to record 2 programmes at the same time and you need both make sure your box is on standby and it will record them

10. Gavo28

Gavo28 Member

Ya i noticed that when u press the left/right arrows or change channels the guide goes haywire and starts skipping forward then goes blank but to be fair it happens on the old boxes we have here too so it seems to be an issue with their new guide system, teething problems i guess.

It really is a joke though, how is it that the companies that made the eurovox,starview etc could manage it but a massive company like upc cant get it right. I guess thats what happens when you take the cheap option and get ur boxes from Thomson of all companies.

I gotta say im not impressed at all, not when theyre getting €60 a year off us for the box. If it was free then i wouldnt have many complaints but as it is i reckon we r simply being ripped off, fusking Thomson,ridiculous!

11. Gavo28

Gavo28 Member

The second Mediabox finally arrived and the noise is the same as the original one. Cant believe they approved it considering it is so loud, at night if i dont have the tv turned up loud then i cant hear it over the fan on the box, €5 a month for this really is a joke...

Thanks for ur input guys, im gonna save up a few quid and switch to sky.