1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Recorder/Smart T.V. Hook up

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Anunnaki, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Anunnaki

Anunnaki Member

Hey Guys,

First, I apologize if these questions are in the wrong category. With so many categories, I totally got confused as to which ones to put where.

Ok, i used to record vudu movies from my vizio blu-ray dvd player into my magnavox dvd recorder, while watching them on my 10 year old rca big screen t.v. and listening to it on my 12 year old rca stereo home theatre. Everything was using rca in/out.

Now, i just bought a new Samsung smart t.v. with a stand alone digital antenna (dont have cable t.v.) and im having trouble getting everything to work again i.e. no video, audio not in sync, etc. I Quickly figured out the importance of having HDMI in/outs.

So, Im looking at buying a replacement dvd recorder and home theatre. here is what im looking at buying.

Magnavox MDR537H 1 TB DVD Recorder/HDD with Digital Tuner (Black)

Product Features

Records up to 1252 hours of contents onto 1TB HDD
    4-Way Dubbing (HDD->DVD, DVD->HDD, DV->HDD, DV->DVD)
    Watch, Forward, Rewind or Freeze Live TV while Recording
    1080p Up-Conversion
    HDMI Output
    Outfitted with 3 HDMI inputs

(I hope this will allow me to record to disc as someone said in a review.)

2) Sony HTSS380 3D Home Theater System

Product Features

1000 watt 5.1 channel surround sound (167 W x5 + 165 W)
    Three HDMI inputs: single-cable High-Definition AV connections
    HDMI Repeater with 3D pass-through
    iPod/iPhone dock for video, music and photos
    BRAVIA Widget unified on-screen interface

3) Apple T.V. Version 2 JailBroken

My Questions are:

1) Do you think these items (First two) will solve my problems, and i can go back to easily recording movies to disc?

2) What's the best way to hook everything up?

Since i am getting the Apple t.v., I was thinking of running the Digital Antenna, Apple t.v. and my Visio blu-ray disc player w/vudu into the HDMI inputs of the new Magnavox MDR537H DVD Recorder and then, running the Magnavox Recorder HDMI output into my Samsung smart t.v. HDMI input.

3) As for the Sound. Im not sure if i should run the Magnavox MDR537H DVD Recorder, or the Samsung smart t.v. into the Sony HTSS380 3D Home Theater System?

I apologize for the lengthy post. Believe me, I get more confused just writing it, but i know you guys have the most knowledgeable answers.

Thanks,

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

if the home theatre has audio return use a hdmi cable from the home threatre to the tv.
    (just searched the home theatre and it does have audio return).you didnt put the model of the tv but most have audio return feature on them.hdmi to the sony from the magnavox should work.

3. Anunnaki

Anunnaki Member

Thank you so much for replying and providing me some insight on how best to set everything up. I really appreciate it.