1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which dvd recorder best records dvr from direct tv onto DVD without commercials?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by prob1, Oct 28, 2012.

1. prob1

prob1 Member

1- I am looking to buy a DVD recorder so I can put something recorded off of Directv (which is saved on "my playlist" DVR onto a physical DVD that will play in any DVD player.

2- What DVD recorder can do this? I am confused as to which I should get. One DVD recorded says it doesn't have a TV tuner. The other one says it does but how much do I need it or don't need it for this? One says it has a DVD hard drive and one doesn't . I am not sure what I do and don't need to do this.

3- I also want to edit out the commercials. But the only way I can figure out how to do that is to burn the show in it's entirety onto a DVD then take that DVD and upload it into my computer and use a program to edit out the commercials. But then wont I need two DVD recorders (one also built into my computer) ? And Two DVD's for each show? There has to be a simpler way of doing this. I am also hoping that the DVD recorded will transfer VHS to DVD can anyone help me with this and recommend a DVD recorder as I am confused having never really dealt with DVD recorders before. Thank you.

2. plaplasticman

plaplasticman Member

Hi,

I'll answer the last bit to your question?

If your looking for a decent vhs/dvd combo unit you will need to get a hurry on. This kind of technology is on the way out. My suggestion is rather than spend your hard earned dollars on a combo unit, go down to the local cash converters etc and pick up a cheap vhs player. Then take a look at Video Editing DVD MAKER 2 .It is a device that will allow you to transfer the data from a vhs tape directly to your pc. It may take time to do as most vhs tapes are 3hrs.The resulting file may also be about 15gig but if you are running windows 7 the dvd application that comes with win 7 is actually quite good. It doesnt see your file as 15 gig it sees it as time. So if the time is larger than a single dvd(150 mins) , put a dual layer in your drive(larger than 150 mins). It wont do Bluray . At the end of the day you will have your files transferred across rather more cheaply than buying a dvd combo unit.

However if i cant persuade you i have used sharp/panasonic/LG AND ALL DO QUITE A GOOD JOB.

have fun

plas