AfterDawn Forums

Can I change the aspect ratio on a DVD?

This discussion thread has 14 messages.

#1
Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure quite where to put it.

I have recently bought a box set of DVD Movies (all official, no cheap rip offs)

However, they are all in letterbox 16:9 aspect ratio, which makes them annoying to view, with the top third and bottom third of my TV screen covered by big black lines.

I have tried all options on my TV/DVD Player with no improvement. So...

If I ripped these DVD's onto my PC, is there a program which I can use to change the aspect ratio to 4:3, to fill my whole TV screen?

If such a thing exists, if somebody could provide my with step-by-step instructions in what to do please. (I'm useless working with new programs)

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
▼▼ This topic has 13 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
#2
Do you have ConvertXtoDVD on your machine (trial will watermark your video), I usually use it with good results but it's not free? Select 4.3 rather than 16.9 and also select video resized, stretch to fit TV screen, AR might change, in the settings. You will be encoding them over and will lose any menu plus they're probably going to need to be DVD 9, can you burn and play those? DVD Flick is free and may be capable of this too, don't know, not familiar with it but both have simple menus. Plus, they're more than likely protected, something like DVDFabHDDecrypter (free) will be needed to rip them to get past that. May be easier method but I don't get into it often enough to know.
#3
Originally posted by mistycat:
Do you have ConvertXtoDVD on your machine (trial will watermark your video), I usually use it with good results but it's not free? Select 4.3 rather than 16.9 and also select video resized, stretch to fit TV screen, AR might change, in the settings. You will be encoding them over and will lose any menu plus they're probably going to need to be DVD 9, can you burn and play those? DVD Flick is free and may be capable of this too, don't know, not familiar with it but both have simple menus. Plus, they're more than likely protected, something like DVDFabHDDecrypter (free) will be needed to rip them to get past that. May be easier method but I don't get into it often enough to know.
Hi

I do already have ConvertXtoDVD, and yes I can burn/play DVD-9, but it didn't work. I'll run you through the process I went through:

I ripped the DVD using AnyDVD

Then I wasn't sure which file to select, there are loads, so I just selected all. (I suspect this may be where I went wrong)

Then, after a seemingly successful conversion process, I received this message: No audio or video in file (not sure of the name of the file) Please check file; conversion failed.

So I'm at a bit of a loss, hope you can help!

Thanks in advance
#4
You know, I've never used ConvertXtoDVD for episodes, usually it's the VIDEO_TS (ifo) that opens the movie.The menu in ConvertXtoDVD should show individual episodes, maybe you need to add each episode seperately, anyone feel free to jump in. Check the runtime in ConvertXtoDVD before you encode and the output in the working folder before you burn (settings>general) so as to not waste discs. As an aside, never had a problem burning but I always use ImgBurn anyway, better burner and free.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Dec 2010 @ 15:37
#5
Yup.. totally correct.. to make episodes they must be added one at a time so they get their own menu entry.
I think cx has a limitation of 4 or 6 entries tho.. something to do with menu button sizes on the display... shouldn't really be a problem with s/l disks, but d/l may be a problem..

It's been years since I went near that payware .. so maybe it's changed by now..

As for stretching 16:9 to 4:3 .. ewwwww.. nasty long thin people or action happening off the cropped sides..

avidemux.. change aspect.. or crop.. or stretch .. then to save time transcode the result straight to mpeg2 with menu>auto>dvd .. then you can dump them in dvd flick (which allows masses of separate entries and precise chapter timing settings) which should only take a few minutes to output an iso from mpeg2 input.



ARR! Them pesky Navy! Get out of my sea!
irc://irc.villageirc.net/afterdawn http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/
#6
Thanks for the confirmation, good to know, I'm back a version at 3 but the option is there to have menus for up to 10 episodes. As for stretching or cropping, I have no use for that either, just encoded a movie the way I mentioned with an A/R of 720 x 360 (16.9-NTSC) where the letterboxing was huge and result was great with no bars and no thin, stretched people and trust me, I'm fussy about both letterboxing and output. Have only seen obvious stretching once and tossed it.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Dec 2010 @ 18:18
#7
Originally posted by mistycat:
Thanks for the confirmation, good to know, I'm back a version at 3 but the option is there to have menus for up to 10 episodes. As for stretching or cropping, I have no use for that either, just encoded a movie the way I mentioned with an A/R of 720 x 360 (16.9-NTSC) where the letterboxing was huge and result was great with no bars and no thin, stretched people and trust me, I'm fussy about both letterboxing and output. Have only seen obvious stretching once and tossed it.
Sorry for this I told you I was useless with new programs, I can't find the setting used to make episodes.

I'll tell you what I have and see if you can help from there.

Ripped DVD using AnyDVD (If you've ever used AnyDVD you know that there are loads of files in a Video_TS folder.) I think there are 7 files that make up the main movie but one has a suppossed runtime of 24:53:23 What? The film is only 2 hours long, I'm very confused now.

I also have the very latest version of ConvertXtoDVD

Sorry, I know it must be hard when you can't see what I'm on about, but I appreciate the help.

Oh, if you know of any way I can preserve menus/special features, that would be great as well, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Thanks
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Dec 2010 @ 6:23
#8
Originally posted by f1rules:
Originally posted by mistycat:
Thanks for the confirmation, good to know, I'm back a version at 3 but the option is there to have menus for up to 10 episodes. As for stretching or cropping, I have no use for that either, just encoded a movie the way I mentioned with an A/R of 720 x 360 (16.9-NTSC) where the letterboxing was huge and result was great with no bars and no thin, stretched people and trust me, I'm fussy about both letterboxing and output. Have only seen obvious stretching once and tossed it.
Sorry for this I told you I was useless with new programs, I can't find the setting used to make episodes.

I'll tell you what I have and see if you can help from there.

Ripped DVD using AnyDVD (If you've ever used AnyDVD you know that there are loads of files in a Video_TS folder.) I think there are 7 files that make up the main movie but one has a suppossed runtime of 24:53:23 What? The film is only 2 hours long, I'm very confused now.

I also have the very latest version of ConvertXtoDVD

Sorry, I know it must be hard when you can't see what I'm on about, but I appreciate the help.

Oh, if you know of any way I can preserve menus/special features, that would be great as well, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Thanks
Update: I have now successfully copied a DVD, but it has only removed half the black lines i.e. from huge letterbox version to normal size (about 2 inches) at top and bottom of screen. Any ideas if I can remove all the lines?

Settings I'm using in ConvertXtoDVD: In DVD Specification - Aspect Ratio 4:3 (full screen)

Then in Video Processing - Video resize method - Stretch Video resized to fit screen (AR might change)

My TV and DVD player are both set to 4:3

Any clues?

Thanks again
#9
If you have a widescreen TV, play with the settings. For some reason 4.3 is the worst setting for displaying the letterboxing. Don't know why but my movie displayed no black bars at 16.9 and large ones at a 4.3 setting. Try zoom or wide zoom too or whatever it is on your equipment, should be 4 different settings available on the TV.
#10
Originally posted by mistycat:
If you have a widescreen TV, play with the settings. For some reason 4.3 is the worst setting for displaying the letterboxing. Don't know why but my movie displayed no black bars at 16.9 and large ones at a 4.3 setting. Try zoom or wide zoom too or whatever it is on your equipment, should be 4 different settings available on the TV.
No better, it's better than the original but not completely gone.

To be honest, it might not be possible to do any more, unless you have any other ideas?
#11
Sorry, no more ideas, maybe someone else knows a way. You could mess around with the cropping in ConvertXtoDVD and that will reduce the bars but does stretch things. Tried that once and it did work but people were awfully tall and thin, that's the one I tossed but a little cropping might be acceptable. I guess it could be done with an encoder like MainConcept but then you would need an authoring program too and not sure how much it could be improved plus that would be awfully expensive. If you want to mess with cropping in ConvertXtoDVD, load each video, open the + by the episode then the + by video and click the A/R (it will highlight) and then the click to edit will appear (box by green check). In the cropping box move the slider to see the view and crop as desired. 16.9 in settings first may actually give a better result but don't know. Seem to remember something about moving slider to the end before exiting. I'd only try one episode at first until you preview the results and see what you think.
#12
Check out the trial of Video ReDo TVSuite H.264, sounds like it will do what you want with autocropping and I've used the trial in the past with no watermark. Quote" For optimal playback, especially on wide screen monitors, the video should be stored on the DVD in its native resolution of either 16x9 or 4x3. However, programs captured from an analog source such as a video capture card or DVD recorder will store the video in 4x3 format. Programs that should be displayed in a widescreen format are "letterboxed" with dark blank areas above and below the programs.

Autocropping of letterbox material will remove the blank areas above and below the program material and create a true 16x9 (anamorphic) DVD."
#13
Originally posted by mistycat:
Check out the trial of Video ReDo TVSuite H.264, sounds like it will do what you want with autocropping and I've used the trial in the past with no watermark. Quote" For optimal playback, especially on wide screen monitors, the video should be stored on the DVD in its native resolution of either 16x9 or 4x3. However, programs captured from an analog source such as a video capture card or DVD recorder will store the video in 4x3 format. Programs that should be displayed in a widescreen format are "letterboxed" with dark blank areas above and below the programs.

Autocropping of letterbox material will remove the blank areas above and below the program material and create a true 16x9 (anamorphic) DVD."
Hi, looks like a rather confusing program for me, can you run me through what I need to do please? Do I import all the necessary files in one big lump, do I need to change any settings, and how do I then create a DVD from it.

Sorry, I know this must be really annoying, but I appreciate your help.

Thanks
#14
Sorry, I only used the program once some time ago and didn't even know it could crop. Someone here must have it installed and use it.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.