1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd/cd drive wont open + wont show on 'my computer'

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by obstacle1, Nov 14, 2009.

1. obstacle1

obstacle1 Guest

my cd/dvd drive will not open or even show on my computer-it's as if it doesn't exist .the led light flashes red all the time ,i have tried restarting my computer a number of times but that didn't work .and i have used a pin the little hole to open it .
    im not sure exactly what caused it but after i left a vcd in my drive it just wouldn't open i only got the disc out by using the pin.

i have a acer desktop computer and a working external hard drive (which originally came from my acer desktop) i thought maybe since i have been unable to find my cd-drive on my desktop maybe i can copy files from my external drive .
    but where and what do i search for.
    any help would be good.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
  2. dailun

dailun Active member

"my cd/dvd drive will not open or even show on my computer-it's as if it doesn't exist"

Sounds like it has died and that's why it won't show up. Replace it.

"i have a acer desktop computer and a working external hard drive (which originally came from my acer desktop) i thought maybe since i have been unable to find my cd-drive on my desktop maybe i can copy files from my external drive .
    but where and what do i search for.
    any help would be good. "

Please explain, as this doesn't make any sense (to me). What does a working external hard drive have to do with a dead optical drive?

Copy files from where to where?

What are you trying to do?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  3. scum101

scum101 Guest

That drive sounds like it's got stuck in some half and half mode.. thinking there is still a disk in when there isn't. I have an old philips dvd burner that does the exact same thing on winduhz.. makes out it's in use. Linux on the other hand throws a much more helpful "device busy" error which I cure with hdparm -W /dev/hdx which resets it and it works fine till next reboot when we go through it all again. It's a proper hardware error.. I think a gate on one of the tray switches is malfunctioning or something like it...