1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Phenom II X4 810 PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by saxman2k, Feb 12, 2010.

1. saxman2k

saxman2k Member

I recently ordered parts online to build my friend a computer from scratch. Long story short I got all the parts, put it together, loaded windows 7 ultimate, installed speedfan to check the temps of the processor cores and got a shock. All of the cores are running within spec except one. One of the cores is idling at around 72 degrees CELSIUS! I tried other programs and got the same result. The bios says says that the chip over all is running at about 40 degrees although I hear tell that bios temp measurement is an iffy business. My first thought is that i should reinstall the heat sink and see if it solves the problem but I thought that i would ask here and get some feedback.

Here is my motherboard if it helps.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

It is possible (but unlikely) that you did not put on the thermal compound evenly, and one core is not getting enough cooling. Did you spread it thin and even? If so, the more likely answer is that there is just a compatability issue with the monitoring software. Bios temps can be iffy...but at least the bios is written for that specific mainboard...speedfan is not.

Also, quad cores sometimes run hotter on the first core since it is the core that is still doing work even when the rest are idleing. What do the temperatures do on the other cores when you run several programs at once? If they get up to 70C also, then it is probably a problem with the thermal compound.

3. saxman2k

saxman2k Member

Thank you for your response. I tried reapplying the thermal compound, but to no avail im afraid. I also updated to the latest bios, and installed the the disc that came with the mobo with no success. I cant personally think of anything else that it could be. Any other thoughts?