1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus laptop screen wont turn on,,,

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Phantome1, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

I have an Asus G50v laptop. My friend gave it to me because he said the screen stopped working one day. It turns on and powers up but nothing happens with the screen. It does not seem to flicker and you cannot see anything on it even with a flashlight. Some strange things I noticed was when I took off the bottom plate the blue wire going from the heat sink fan to the motherboard was cut... so naturally i connected the blue wires back together and then when I turned it on the fan did not work (while the blue wire was cut the fan worked). Also the only other thing I can think of to include when I power it on it will light up, everything shuts down after about 2 seconds then about 5 seconds later it powers up by itself and stays on... ?? I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try attaching an external monitor to laptop to see if can see anything. most likely laptop is scrap.

3. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

how can you say most likely scrap?? An external does not work.

4. ddp

because i've scraped over 1/2 dozen of different makes of laptops in less than a year. try different ram but if no posting on screen nor any beeps means bad motherboard or cpu.

5. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

would that cause the screen to not even turn on?

6. ddp

yes.

7. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

Alright well I tried new ram in it and nothing, still doing the same thing...

8. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

Here is where I am at, if it needs one new part whether it be the MB or a processor, I can buy one I am not afraid to spend 100-200 dollars to get this $600 laptop working. I believe it all works with the exception of maybe one thing. Do you have any advice to narrowing down what the problem piece is so I can get it ordered?? Thanks also for the quick replies.

9. ddp

right now i would say it is the motherboard.

10. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

So hypothetically thinking, if I were to get a new MB and replace this one. Assuming I did it all correctly (which im pretty confident I could do) you think that it would fix my screen issue and work like it did before? I mean its no longer under warrenty but the warrenty sticker is still on the bottom I know nobody has taken it apart before me and messed anything up. What would be the reason the MB failed? Did it just fail you think?

11. ddp

could be a bad capacitor or a bad ic causing the board to fail. like i said before, i have about 6+ laptop(not my own) that are scrap & to be used for parts like ram & drives.

12. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

But this is a very decent computer... I got for practically nothing from a person who knows very little about computers. I am having a hard time seeing it just being set asside for scrap. I can spend 200 and have a 600 computer. Do you really think its not worth the risk?

13. ddp

try it.

14. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

Could it just be the graphics card causing all these problems??

15. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Did you actually try hooking it up to an external monitor to determine if it was the LCD at fault?

The way you describe the powering up sequence sounds very suspect, as if something has failed/shorted etc - like ddp suggested.

Edited to remove wrong info.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  16. ddp

Ripper, that is a laptop so videocard is part of motherboard.

Phantome1, can't replace videocard as part of motherboard. if was a desktop computer then a videocard can be installed.

17. Ripper

Ripper Active member

My bad, I was under the impression that in laptops there was a removable GPU unit too if the laptop had anything more than onboard/integrated graphics.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  18. ddp

those are the expensive laptops like the alienware types from dell. a $600 laptop is not in that category.

19. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Just edited my post to make it a bit clearer as you were replying! I see, I wasn't sure where the differentiation started - I'll stop clogging up the thread now.

20. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

Actually it has a video card its a 9800m gs i believe. It is not part of the motherboard. And yes Ripper I did try hooking up monitor and nothing... I was told yesterday that these specific asus models are known for having failing GPUs. He said the gpu gets too hot and warps away from the board. But yes it does have a seperate graphics card that I can physically pull out. I am kinda leaning towards that being the problem from what the guy said yesterday.