1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus P5B Deluxe-WiFi Died on me while Updating! Need tips.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Mike2732, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Mike2732

Mike2732 Member

My Asus P5B Deluxe-WiFi won't work any more after trying to update the bios in windows. It said it was erasing my current bios and then tried loading the new one but it failed verifying, so I restarted and no boot messages or anything!!

I tried to reset it by using the CMOS jumper, move from pins 1-2 to 2-3 then switch back after 5 seconds.
    I tried removing the battery, recovering using a floppy and cd (took firmware named it to AMIBOOT.ROM and tried to reflash and force-reflash using CTRL+HOME)

I've been reading and people have said to use a recovery cd but I don't have one.
    I've also read that some people had no hope and had to get a new motherboard or a new bios chip (not sure my motherboard has a switchable chip because its built in)

Has anyone had experience in this kind of thing? What's the easiest solution?

Please let me know if you need more info.

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

It won't post, yet you were able to boot to a floppy?

I think I missed something...

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

If you need a new bios chip, you can get them pre-flashed with whatever bios you want, look on ebay, but you'll also need a chip puller and wrist strap.
    Very easy job to do when you get the bits.

4. Mike2732

Mike2732 Member

I heard about people doing this, but when I look up my specific board, people say it has a built-in bios chip which is soldered into the south-bridge.

5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Sorry, I even had one of these boards before, and never realised they didn't have a chip.

It appears that recovery is possible, but risky!
    If you are unable to get an RMA from supplier or even Asus, then you have nothing to loose by trying the following.

Hope it helps, I didn't read the whole thing, but it looks s though it should work.

http://mondotech.blogspot.com/2009/05/asus-p5b-deluxe-bios-recovery-spi-flash.html