1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best cable connection for a few different scenarios?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kzm007, Nov 9, 2010.

1. kzm007

kzm007 Regular member

I currently have two computers I use often, and have just purchased a new monitor.

Computers

1. Samsung N210 netbook used for college coursework, with a VGA-in port.

2. HP Pavilion DV9000 used as a desktop at home. Has a VGA-in port and HDMI-in port.

Monitor
    AOC LCD monitor with a VGA-in port and a DVI-in port.

I have a VGA cable that came with the monitor, but it's only five feet or so, and both male ends have screws. This means that when I plug it into my netbook, the connection is loose, either because the screws jiggle or the cable is taut.

I would like to find a male-to-male VGA cable at least 15' or more without screws on one end, or an adapter that has screw-brackets on one end only.

Furthermore, my HDTV at home only has HDMI ports.

I would like to find a male-VGA-to female-HDMI cable or adapter to allow compatibility.

Any ideas are appreciated, thanks.

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Amazon is your friend on this one...I just searched for "VGA male to male 15ft" and got 487 results. Most of them have screws, but you can just remove these.

As for the adapter box, I have yet to find one I like...they all either make images that look like crap, have limited resolutions that don't work with most screens, or cost way too much.

You might see the DVI to HDMI adapters and the VGA to DVI adapters...but they won't work together. DVI has both analog and digital...the DVI to HDMI adapters use the digital and drop the analog, while the DVI to VGA adapters keep the analog and drop the digital. Use both together, and you drop everything.