1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bios Rom Check sum error abit vt7 mobo help needed

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Theebs, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Theebs

Theebs Member

Hi, I recently had a biosrom checksum error and the computer just stops.

Then I had nothing happening when I pushed power.

So I thought it was the power supply, there was no light on the mobo. So I replaced the psu and plugged everything back in and hit power, and it posted and then went to the start windows normally etc.. screen. When I clicked start with last working config it just locked up. When I restarted I got the biosrom checksum error again.

I disconnected the floppy and then the cd and dvd drives and tried to boot, got the same problem.

It just doesnt boot. Sometimes the screen stays black and sometimes I get the biosrom checksum error.

I am thinking I just need to replace the mobo and all will be fine, but they dont make the abit vt 7 mobo anymore.

So my question is, can I fix the error with a flash and if so where can I find it because I have failed to find a bios update.

my second question is can someone reccomend a mobo I can pickup to replace the abit vt7.

I am tired of slamming my head into the desk so all help is appreciated.

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

3. Theebs

Theebs Member

sorry man, I couldnt find that. Honest.

So to be clear, just download the last update, should I use a floppy or a flash drive? Then put that in and restart?

sorry for being an idiot I have never flashed a bios before.

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

If you have a floppy drive, then make a dos boot disk and put the flasher program and the flash file on the drive. If you don't have a floppy drive, you can do the same with a CDR or a flash drive (google "make dos flash" or "make dos cd" for about a million guides)

5. Wakahi

Wakahi Member

After noticing that the CPU/HT/RAM frequencies really low on a family members PC I surmised that the mobo battery needed replacing after "googling" on the subject. Once this procedure was completed everything appeared fine when I booted up (All Frequencies back to normal) , but the second time around powering up bios took forever to find the IDE drives and then froze up on "configuring array". So I went into Bios and loaded "Fail Safe settings" That seemed to work only once. I then updated/Flashed Bios and cleared CMOS again. And again everything worked once, So I finally took the battery for 10 minutes replaced it, cleared CMOS again(keeping the jumpers in reset after about 20 seconds then switching back to default) and then pushed power and then directly into bios loading "Fail Safe Settings" and now everything works fine. The Abit NF-M2S seems to be finicky about "optimal settings" in bios. I had an ABIT KN9 SLI Mobo for two years and I was in BIOS OCing all the time and its never had problems even after I passed it on.