1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biostar TA770 A2+ Chipset temps around 90C... Help! (either that or speedfan is nuts... still, help!)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Pnknjnk, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

So I thought the diode was bunk or something, I just repaired the thing with some arctic silver adhesive stuff... after the clips snapped off. I followed the directions verbatim for using it, and only used a tiny amount.

I do this before a recasing in N-mediaPC's wood case thing, which is pretty hot, but nothing else is psychotic hot or anything, and I'm getting a monstrous proc fan soon anyhow, so no worries on that, I think.

but I just installed speedfan... And "temp1" is hovering around 90+ degrees. if I power down, it cools very, very quickly, but my chipset heatsink, the one I repaired, is the only thing in the pc that is warm enough to the touch to actually burn.
    But I am wondering if 90c is actually possible, or if it's not just one of the other ones, because wouldn't 50-60c be pretty uncomfortable?

My mobo is a biostar ta770 A2+ if that helps ID, or anything.
    [​IMG]

There's a pic, if that can help. Any other info I can provide or any you can provide would be great, but here's the deal - if this thing is on it's last legs out, 100% for sure, anything I can do so the bastard will make it 2 weeks or so would be great, I probably don't have money for a new mobo right now unless I just replace this one cheap and dirty - if I could get aaway with setting a 80mm fan on top of it and just plugging it in, let me know.
    anything at all to help it out, let me know!

Thank you in advance for helping preserve what's left of my computer's life!

EDIT:

Just to clarify, I can't actually temp it but the NB is unreasonably hot to the touch, to the point of burning if I touched it for long, I'm pretty sure, but I can't actually temp it. No infrared thermo. :(

I am experiencing zero stability issues, but I also don't want to put it under a huge load to see if I do... music stuff last night put it under a pretty heavy strain and I had 0 stability issues. I have had no crashes or anything.

If my NB overheats and fries, could any other components suffer damage?

Also, my system is at stock clocks, no OC anything, 4750DK gpu, 4gbs ram, phenom x4 with a gigantic arctic freezer 64 pro, being replaced soon. (it's old a few fins are bent etc)

AND my mobo hardware monitor info doesn't report this temp anywhere, at all, so maybe it's possible this is a non existant diode that's just going crazy, or a busted one? Would it still read temps in a "normal" way? (fluctuates slightly, if i turn down fans it goes up a little)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

It is very likely that your NB is overheating, as most NB coolers are not big enough. However, I think 90C is a bit high...even graphics cards don't run that hot. Plus, I don't think you would be able to type after you touched it (just 9 degrees colder than boiling water)

If you have space to mount a 40MM fan to the top of the cooler, this would probably help (nothing in a PC other than the video card should be hot enough to cause burns). Putting a 80mm fan probably would not help much, unless there is a buildup of hot, stagnant air in that area.

You could also consider a blower fan...this can be mounted to the side or rear of the chip, and will generate a lot of very dirrected airflow right on that one spot (I use a blower to cool my raid card, as it has insufficient heatsinks and they are not removable).