1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compaq CQ50 hdmi?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by whatevs21, Jul 1, 2010.

1. whatevs21

whatevs21 Member

i have the compaq cq50 laptop and my dog peed on it so i took it apart to clean the boards and much to my surprise theres a spot on the mother board with 19 pins saying "HDMI 1" so if i want hdmi on it i just buy a 19 pin hdmi and solder that bad boy to the board? theres even an opening on the case of the laptop for it that i always wondered what it was for.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can you take a picture of that motherboard area & post it?

3. whatevs21

whatevs21 Member

ahh i totally spaced taking a picture and now its back together. but heres my same motherboard. ive circled in red where it says "hdmi 1" and its 19 pins/solder points sorry if its hard to see

http://tinypic.com/r/2agnf9g/6

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Do you see that small copper square that looks like it should have a chip on it; the one next to the red circle? I'm guessing that the missing chip is required before you could install an HDMI port...there are probably other things missing too.

5. whatevs21

whatevs21 Member

oh i see. that makes sense. sounds like too much effort for hdmi on a less than high quality laptop though. eh, i probably wouldnt have done it anyway but i was curious as to if thats what its there for. and why didnt compaq just solder the dang thing on themselves? well thanks anyways guys

6. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

They probably saved $0.50 by leaving HDMI out; multiply that by a million units, and you will see why they left it out. Either that, or they were trying to force people who need HDMI to buy more expensive models.