1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead 500GB External HDD HELP!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by BAWK, Dec 25, 2009.

1. BAWK

BAWK Member

My 500GB External Hard Drive will connect to my computer and then disconnect itself whenever I try to access it. I also get a message saying "there might be a problem with some files on this device or disk. This can happen if you remove the device before all files have been written to it." I am using Windows XP on my desktop and Windows 7 on my laptop. I cannot access it with either of these. I have tried to "Scan and Fix" with Windows 7 but to no avail. I have tried quite a bit and I am lost. At the very least I would like to get some of the files off of it.

Thank You.

More info if needed

2. BAWK

BAWK Member

More Info... This is a Western Digital My Book 500GB, I have heard of others with this problem, but I cannot get it to work. I believe it came about from me copying a large quantity of files and cancelling the copy.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum. is it still under warranty? is the drive itself not the enclosure, ide or sata?