1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Inspiron - No ports work

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by altermanncam, Apr 10, 2013.

1. altermanncam

altermanncam Member

I really hope this is being posted in the right area of the forum.. If not I apologize.

Hello all, recently I offered to help a friend out by fixing up her computer. It's a Dell Inspiron N5110.
    First of all I'd like to say that this was the worst design I've ever seen in a computer, just getting to the hard drive required EVERYTHING to be dismantled; keyboard, monitor, motherboard, etc.

So I've wiped the hard drive and installed Windows. I plugged in a thumb drive that I prepared earlier with all of the necessary drivers, but it was not recognized. Not only that, I noticed that it wasn't charging either.
    NONE of the ports on this laptop work now. USB, Power, HDMI... To get to the hard drive I had to remove the ribbons that control them, but I went back to double check them and they're in the right way, with no damage.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do from here?

Thanks.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

post is a little bit confusing,not that i can help at all however some more info would be good for others

what was wrong with the lappy before you started tinkering

you installed windows yes so you can boot into it but your issue is it no longer has a working usb,hdmi,power ? you mean power on indicator light

at a guess it would suggest missing chipset drivers tho the usb issue is odd as usb is universal so the OS install should automatically install the required drivers regardless

as a last resort place drivers directly on the hdd in a folder & install once you have booted back into windows

EDIT:
    Just has a thought go grab a distro of linux anyone will do either puppy,arch,mint & run it from cd (no need to install they run from cd) can you now get access to usb to transfer drivers over,this will POSSIBLY help determine if it's perhaps a wiring issue

http://distrowatch.com/

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

service manual link. ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-15r-n5110_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

4. altermanncam

altermanncam Member

I set up a partition on the drive with the drivers. I'll get back to everyone with results I reinstall. Thank you.