1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphic SLI

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LightXxX, Mar 28, 2011.

1. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

I got a Evga GTS450 and i was thinking about saving money and buy another one at the 400 series, but IDK if i can SLI the 480 or 460... Does it works or do i have to buy the same VideoCard? Also does the Memory and Core Clock matters when bridging(SLI)the videocard?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have to be same videocard.

3. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

So umm i have to get a Evga GTS 450 and not an 460 nor 480?

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

correct

5. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

OK THANKS GUY... Also when it's SLI, does it share memory and speed and does it ganna work with my setup of 700W PSU, I listed most of my parts in the "Is i7 better or Q9550" thread...

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

No they don't share memory. It's not 2GB of video memory, it's 2 cards with 1GB each.

PSU will matter. What brand is your PSU, and if you can, tell us how many amps it has on the +12v rail.

7. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

What do they share than if there's SLI, Why doesn't it share memory and what do they share?

My PSU is this: http://3btech.net/ewv2vi7020pi.html scroll bottom with some Pics... Also i dont know what's AMPS or +12v Rail means as i never know what it actually do...(Please tell me)

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  9. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

So it shares GPU usage instead of Memory? -_-... Does it change anything like speed or processing of stuff like increasing Games FPS?

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

It increases FPS by sharing GPU load. Think of it as a grid of squares on your screen. Each alternating square is rendered by one card. Each other square is rendered by the other card. In a perfect scenario it will double your FPS. But in real life it's usually 60-90% faster depending on the game.

Your PSU would definitely be an issue. It's cheap and is a low quality brand.

For 700W in a quality unit you should be paying more like 3 times that much. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&cm_re=corsair-_-17-139-006-_-Product

I would definitely replace your PSU before getting 2 cards.

This would be perfect for your setup. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&cm_re=corsair-_-17-139-005-_-Product

11. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

Than what do i do with my Cheap and Low Quality(It said high quality -_-) PSU? How much would i be selling it for? Also, in order to do that, ill be buying it by 2012 or so because im only 14 and cant make money but have to save it up...

12. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

And i forgot to ask, what happens if i just put the Videocard in without a new PSU?

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well sorry dude but just telling it how it is. If it works you can keep using it, but it should be replaced before you put 2 video cards on it. Brands like that will pop and take other parts with them. I've seen it time and time again. The second you put heavy enough load on it, it will fail. Believe me I started PCs young as well and it's hard to get stuff together. One step at a time.

Something like 600W+ in good quality is really the minimum you should be using for long term reliability with 2 cards.

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

To answer your other question probably nothing right away. But the chance will always be there that you could overload the PSU. If it fails, it will probably take other stuff with it. Dead video cards and hard drives are not uncommon from a bad quality PSU.

I would guess a unit like that is actually doing more in the range of 450-500W, if that. And not good quality power either.

15. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

You said like it's ganna die quicker than it's expected to? How long would my System Last with the PSU that i have now? ASUS SaberTooth x58, i7 950 with stock cooler, Kingston HyperX 1800Mhz 1.7-1.9v(Set 1866MHz at 1.65v), HDD 1TB 32MB, Haf 912, 2 Logisly blue fans 80mm, 2 Haf 912 case-2 FANS, and Evga GTS 450? Would it be running fine for atleast 3 years and when it fails with my setup, would it(PSU) take stuff with it or it just died?

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

lol no that's quite a heavy system for such a low quality PSU. It's not a matter of how long it will last. It could fail at any time. And it will more than likely kill other stuff given it's low price. If you are planning to make an upgrade, sacrifice a bit on some other things to squeeze a better PSU in. Do not depend on it to last you for any length of time. I'm speaking from experience here. It WILL fail if you put a high end system on it.

17. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

Ill try to save money and get one as soon as possible... Tomorrow is when my bro's PSu get here and than ihave to get mine out and imma put in my room for like ahile until i get my monitor but b4 i get my monitor, ill have to get a better PSU... I have a lot of bros so they would likely force me to put comptuter on living iwth the monitor that's already have a computer(Very Slow) with CRT Monitor... Ill try to get a PSU as soon as i save money or enough to get it... Thanks for the TIP!!! Also what kind of monitor would you recommend for my Evga GTS 450 at any resoution and screen size that's perfect for gaming or for stuff with my Evga GTS 450?

Also what you mean by high end? like Super Crazy system? And is my setup an high end and what would an estimated time of you to said that's my PSU is ganna fail?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
  18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah no problem just trying to help :p Good luck getting your funsds together and I hope it all works out.

Something like a 22 inch at 1680 x 1050 or something similar would likely be a good match for your video card. Monitor brand isn't too important so just look for what matches your budget.

19. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Like I say pick the one that works best for you. They're all more or less the same thing. High contrast and low response are good.