1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heatsink on biostar ta770 a2+ mobo broke off, don't know what to do. need help ID/fixing problem!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Pnknjnk, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

So. Here's a picture of the mobo:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Sources/B/Biostar TA770 A2+/Images/b20071105_1.jpg
    in this image, to the left of the proc socket, there is a heatsink labeled "biostar" that snapped off when I was intalling my very large and intensely obnoxious to get clipped on arctic cooler proc fan.
    All I did was nudge it. When I tried to get it back down to see if the plastic thing would go back in, the other one snapped out, too.

I believe it's my fsb, but I have no real idea.

I need help identifying it, and I need to know:
    If I lay my tower on it's side, will it function at all without the pressure the clips would have given it?
    How can I fix this with at home parts? I'm broke for a little while and can't order anything.

This has been hell. I got a new proc and new powersupply, thought the power supply failed, and then win7 was giving me MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION errors every time it ran, I was all set to pursue a possible resolution and this happens.

my computer is out of commission completely. before I deconstruct and await when I can buy a new mobo, I'd love to find something I can do to permit my computer to work without risking damage to my components. (some mobo risk is OK - if it won't damage the rest. Heh. This thing is on it's last legs.)

So any help you can provide in identification of the problem so I can google better or a solution would be just amaaaazing. Thank you for reading my massive, rambly message.

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

That is the northbridge, or "Chipset". You can get arctic silver 5 and use that to glue the heatsink back on.

3. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

i have some arctic silver left over from my new proc, excellent to know. I didn't know that actually formed any kind of bond - will that actually allow me to use the pc as a tower again, or not quite strong enough?

EDIT:
    I had just enough in an older tube, and not a moment too soon, I hate my laptops keyboard!
    and I'm dying to get back to muuuuusic!
    You are my savior! I await yours or anyone's reply on if it actually works as a "glue", if not, no real loss. I'm still replacing it soon, but now it won't be as gruelling a wait!

I think I just need a bios update, and a reactivation, from here, and i'm gooooood to go. :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  4. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

I can't find the edit button again... does it disappear after some time?
    I just wanted to update this with the info I got from loooots of searching on the internet.

Arctic silver 5 is not a glue, by any means, however, it should work to fix a busted off chipset like this.
    If it's a dell PC though, keep searching.

Also, arctic silver makes several glues just for this kind of thing - they can't really be removed after, though.
    But yeah, nice to know, because it took me so long to find out!