1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP dv6-1247cl Laptop problem - No POST - (RAM+Battery problem?)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kevolones, Jan 11, 2010.

1. kevolones

kevolones Member

Ive never encountered this problem before so Id like to hear some thoughts about it.

Its an HP Pavilion dv6-1247cl (hope this is the right forum... if not let me know) and when it got to my hands it was completely dead.

Original Problem :It powered up but nothing displayed on screen, not even POST. At first I thought it was a bad LCD screen so I connected it to an external monitor but nothing happened.

Then I took out the battery and removed the RAM (2 sticks of 2gb each) and installed them back and it started working normally again. Booted up fine so I used it to web-browse for a couple of minutes and it gave me a Blue Screen of Death. After the BSD it went straight back to the original problem...no POST no nothing.

A remove/install of the RAM memory will make it work again.

I tried removing 1 stick just to test it with 1 stick at a time and it works perfectly (tested for 2 hours)....so i thought one of the sticks must be bad but to my surprised I switched the working stick with the previously removed one and it worked perfectly as well.

So the problem happens when I have both RAM sticks installed, funny thing is if I try it without a battery it works fine with both! Install the battery + 2 sticks of RAM and it gives me the problem.:

So in summary:

- with RAM DIMM #1 installed alone ---->laptop works normally with or without battery
    - with RAM DIMM #2 installed alone ---->laptop works normally with or without battery
    - with RAM DIMMS #1 + #2 NO BATTERY installed ---->laptop works
    - with RAM DIMMS #1 + #2 + BATTERY both installed ---->laptop crashes and wont start up again.

I hope I explained it well, Im currently not in the HP laptop so I dont have the BSoD code on me but Ill post it later if it will help.

Any help or opinion will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. kevolones

kevolones Member

It hasnt crashed for a couple of days but I know theres something wrong with it and I dont want to give it back (cousins laptop) like this. This thing is killing me....any tips?

3. TehUltra

TehUltra Member

By battery, do you mean the CMOS battery or the battery used to power the laptop. If you're talking about the CMOS battery, I would believe it to be a BIOS issue. Usually a BSOD happens when some hardware fails during operation, so might there be a short?

4. kevolones

kevolones Member

I meant the Laptop Power Battery, to use the thing without it being plugged to the wall.

Anyway, It worked for a while but I recently got a call from the owner that it happened again.

I have no idea what to do with it, Im guessing its a board issue ... probably out of my hands. Ill tell the owner to send it to HP for repairs.

thanks