AfterDawn Forums

Laptop HDMI To Monitor Not Working BUt Does to TV

This discussion thread has 20 messages.

#1
Ok I used to have my laptop HDMI hooked to an external 23 inch monitor and all was ok.
I then used it on my 42inch Bravia through HDMI and all was ok.

Now that I am trying to switch it back to the 23in monitor thru the HDMI, its giving me a pink and very very grainy look on the 23 inch monitor, and it looks like the resolution is bigger than the screen.

So im guessing when I plug the HDMI into the Monitor, its thinking its the LCD TV, so its not working correctly.

How can i convert this back so it will get the proper resolution for the monitor. I used to swap this out all the time from tv to monitor to projector and never had an issue, now all of a sudden it is.

AMD Radeon Graphics
Windows 8
If you need to know.

Any help would be great! Thanks
▼▼ This topic has 19 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
#2
is it setup as a dual screen(laptop screen & external screen) or a single screen?
#3
Originally posted by ddp:
is it setup as a dual screen(laptop screen & external screen) or a single screen?
I have tried all ways by pressing windows key and P, external only, duplicate, extended, none of them work, all very grainy and fuzzy
#4
when did this start to happen as might be able to do a system restore to before this problem started as maybe a win8 update might be causing this?
#5
Originally posted by ddp:
when did this start to happen as might be able to do a system restore to before this problem started as maybe a win8 update might be causing this?

That's possible. I just noticed it this weekend but that's because it has only been this weekend where I decided to plug it into the external monitor for the first time in a couple of months.

It worked fine two months ago, then switched to the TV and it was fine. Now that I have the office setup again (after moving) it wont recognize the monitor correctly, the screen is too large and its all grey/grainy. To me it seems like its assuming when its plugged into HDMI its assuming its the LCD TV, not the monitor and I cant get it to kick back to that screen.
#6
Change resolution to suit monitor & see what happens

AD Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com guides/
Console Mod Tuts: http://www.realmodscene.com/

#7
I tried that but it still doesnt work, it says its set at 1920 x 1080 but its not.
that was the native resolution is
#8
try 1024x768.
#9



Here is a screenshot of what im seeing, I realize the resolution is wrong in the pictures but it doesnt matter what I set it at this is what I get.

hopefully you can see what im talking about
#10
Originally posted by baken19:



Here is a screenshot of what im seeing, I realize the resolution is wrong in the pictures but it doesnt matter what I set it at this is what I get.

hopefully you can see what im talking about
1024x769 gives me the same look but the entire background shifts to the right and leaves a decent size black strip down the left side of the monitor
#11
what is display 1 & what is display 2? have you tried just using the laptop screen alone, what does it look like & at what resolution? what program are you using to change the video settings & resolution?
#12
Originally posted by ddp:
what is display 1 & what is display 2? have you tried just using the laptop screen alone, what does it look like & at what resolution? what program are you using to change the video settings & resolution?
Display 1 is my laptop screen, and that was only because I had it setup like this so I could seen what I was doing to do a print screen. Display 2 is the Monitor

When I use the laptop screen alone it is fine on the 1024 x 768 resolution.
When I hook the laptop to the TV and run it at 1920 x 1080 it is fine.
I just get this issue when hooked to the monitor. and like i said on 1920 x 1080 its too big for the screen. and this is the look I get.

I have CCC as its an AMD Radeon Graphics Card, Ive tried changing the resolution in there to see if it makes a difference but has not. So when changing resolution ive just been using the default windows screen resolution settings as seen in the picture
#13
check this link out
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/38485...v-washed-colour

before doing that disable the audio output thru hdmi perhaps a reboot then see,if no go refer back to link above

AD Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com guides/
Console Mod Tuts: http://www.realmodscene.com/

#14
Originally posted by scorpNZ:
check this link out
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/38485...v-washed-colour

before doing that disable the audio output thru hdmi perhaps a reboot then see,if no go refer back to link above
Thanks I will try this tonight when I get home.
#15
Originally posted by baken19:
Originally posted by scorpNZ:
check this link out
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/38485...v-washed-colour

before doing that disable the audio output thru hdmi perhaps a reboot then see,if no go refer back to link above
Thanks I will try this tonight when I get home.
I tried this, and a few other things, and nothing. Its getting really frustrating. I am going to try to hook the laptop to a few other tv's/monitors tonight and see what happens
#16
check graphics driver is enabled & or possibly try a roll back thru device manager-display adapters- AMD right click on it tten hit properties

If all else fails i'd start at the beginning & uninstall the driver & software,delete the Ati.dll's from system 32 & any crap of ati in the regedit tree,then a reboot & run ccleaner registry cleaner & reinstall,however before doing so a backup image will need to be created better make that two on two different hdd's

AD Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com guides/
Console Mod Tuts: http://www.realmodscene.com/

#17
Originally posted by scorpNZ:
check graphics driver is enabled & or possibly try a roll back thru device manager-display adapters- AMD right click on it tten hit properties

If all else fails i'd start at the beginning & uninstall the driver & software,delete the Ati.dll's from system 32 & any crap of ati in the regedit tree,then a reboot & run ccleaner registry cleaner & reinstall,however before doing so a backup image will need to be created better make that two on two different hdd's
Thanks thats where im heading because I just ruled out two possible problems.

I can hook the laptop thought HDMI to another smaller HDTV and no issues.
I also hooked my PS3 up to the monitor through HDMI and that works no problem.
So that eliminated the HDMI port and monitor being broken.

I shall delete all ATI Driver stuff etc and see if that works then. Thanks
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Jun 2013 @ 23:28
#18
No not before a backup image of c is made in case a wrong file is deleted that way you can recover easily,easeus todo backup should do it ,was free last time i checked if not should be some early versions around somewhere

AD Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com guides/
Console Mod Tuts: http://www.realmodscene.com/

#19
I did, all of this, and it worked!

I backed it up, deleted all of the ATI Driver stuff, and voila, it worked.

All of that hassle and it was easily fixable, thanks for your help!
#20
sweet

AD Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com guides/
Console Mod Tuts: http://www.realmodscene.com/

This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.