1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help connecting desktop PC to TV....

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by alba1314, Dec 9, 2013.

1. alba1314

alba1314 Member

I have a desktop PC (running XP Home Edition) which I wish to connect to a spare TV, using it as my primary monitor but my TV does not have a VGA in port. The three input options I have on my TV are 1/. Composite, 2/. Scart & 3/. HDMI.
    As my PC is running XP, you can imagine that the only output source(s) I have is/are via VGA and I appear to have both male and female VGA ports, of which I am unsure would be the correct port to connect my TV to. That said, I would very much appreciate any help/advice on how I go about connecting the PC to the TV and which kind of cable I would need to be able to utilise the TV as a monitor?
    Will I be able to connect the two devices with a VGA to Composite/Scart/HDMI cable and if so, which would be the best output/input method of connecting my computer to my TV?
    Any and all advice is most appreciated and a big TIA to those who are able to assist me on this matter.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can get a new videocard that has hdmi on it.

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

depends on your computer it may have a video out on it a yellow socket for a cable to run from pc to tv,i know some of the pentium 4s had them.

im assuming composite cables are same as av cables (yellow,red,white).the yellow 1 is the one for video if you have the video out on your pc.

post a pic of the back of the pc.

can pick up a 512mb video card for under $50 that would have a hdmi output on it.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if have a pci\e 16 slot than can get a 1gig amd radeon hd6450 card that has vga, dvi & hdmi connectors for about same price.