1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New laptop (no VGA), need connect to monitor

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by HDS, Nov 19, 2013.

1. HDS

HDS Member

Hey all! I just got a new laptop and I completely forgot to make sure it had a VGA/DVI port to connect to my external Smasung SyncMaster 2253LW. The back of the monitor has both VGA and DVI ports. But my new laptop doesn't have any. The closest thing is an HDMI port.

I have read some posts on other forums about adapters but a lot of them came back saying it didn't work, because it wasn't active or something.

Can anyone suggest me something that will work for sure? Some kind of HDMI to VGA adapter that has been tested to work for laptop to monitor?

2. keebles

keebles Regular member

3. HDS

HDS Member

thanks for the reply keebles! I just want to make sure, this will detect my extra monitor as a second screen and allow me to "extend" my displays? I don't want to duplicate them.

4. keebles

keebles Regular member

It should as long as the graphics card supports it and you have the correct drivers installed.

I would wait until another user who knows more about doing this is able to reply since I have never attempted to do this with my computer. You can try asking other members such as (scorpNZ).

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

HDS, what is the make & model# of the laptop?

6. HDS

HDS Member

I have a Dell Inspiron 17 inch 3737. Got it yesterday.

7. HDS

HDS Member

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Cable appears to be good quality i see no reason for it not to work & 3mtrs is what i use,however keep in mind dvi doesn't carry audio signal only video,so if you want sound on other monitor a separate audio cable will be required which can be run from any earphone port on laptop

the graphics the laptop has will display on 2nd monitor as extended like you want

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014