1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Won't Power Up

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by baddassb, Mar 17, 2014.

1. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion desktop. The unit was moved from desk top to floor, but apparently (after questioning the mover) the plug wasn't disconnected during this move. Now the PC won't power up and the green light on the back is flashing. I'm assuming it may be the power supply. I've tried unplugging the power cord, holding the power button for 10 seconds and replugging -- nothing. I toggled the voltage switch -- nothing. Next I will open the unit, clean it out and make sure all connections inside are secure. Has anyone heard of blowing a hair dryer on the outside fan area and (miraculously) the green light goes solid, allowing powerup? Just looking for more suggestions.

Thank you in advance,

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that is not the wattage switch but voltage switch, 115v to 220v or vice versa depending on what country you live in.

3. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

yes, that's what i mean. I just used the wrong term.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

reseat ram and video card.check to make sure your cpu cooler is firmly seated as well.it sounds like they werent very gentle with it when they set it down.

5. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Ok, I will take a look at that. I used the "blow dryer" trick, the green light went steady and the pc powered up, but the fan wasn't spinning. ??? I'm thinking this will only last until I shut down the pc.

thanks as always,
    [6:38 EST]

6. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Well the blower dryer trick worked for about 2 weeks, even after powering the pc off but has now blown again. Does it matter replacing a high-connector with a low-connector psu makes a difference because all the psu's i see online have low connectors? Just wondering.............

Thanks as always,
    [11:33 AM EST]

7. ddp

what do you mean by high connector & low connector?

8. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

When HP talks about replacing psu, they mention the high-connector power supply has the power connector near the top of the computer and low-connector power supply has the power connector near the add-in cards. My original psu has the plug up the upper top left corner of psu (high connector), whereas all replacements I've seen now have the plug on the lower right corner of psu (low connector).

Here's the link to make more sense: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01684432&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Thanks again in advance,
    [12:35pm EST]

9. ddp

doesn't matter as the difference between the 2 are just due to fit in the case which is 1 of the reasons i like clone computers over namebrands like hp & dell.

10. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

good to know because all replacement psu's online (from newegg, etc...) are low connectors.

Thanks as always for all positive and reliable feedback! ;)
    [12:55PM EST]

11. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

well I guess my question of low-connector/high-connector does make a difference. I tried installing the psu, which was a low-connector and because of how the tower was structured (for a high-connector psu) on the back, it would not fit securely. I was only able to use three screws because of where the plug area is located. Also, after all the installation effort, the psu didn't power up computer at all. When I initially pressed the pc's power button, the fan on motherboard spun for a quick second and that was it. Nothing after that. I checked all connections (20-pin on mb, optical/hard drives, etc...), but no power seemed to come through. Is there any way to check if the psu is faulty?

Thanks,as always, for any feedback!
    [2:09PM EST]

12. ddp

did you also plug in the other 4 pin connector from the psu into the motherboard? i presume you are in north america because of your "[2:09PM EST]" post so check that the switch on back of psu is set to 120v not 240v. to test if the psu is good or bad, put a wire jumper or even needle nose pliers into the green wire socket & 1 of the black wire sockets of the 20 pin connector of the psu with the psu plugged into the wall but not the computer, the fan should spin.

13. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

good catch, yes, I am in NA and yes, the switch is set to 120v. the 4 pin connector was plugged into the motherboard as well as the 20 pin. Here's the thing: the fan on my psu "is" spinning, it's just that the green light is constantly flashing and pc won't power up -- which is why used the "blower dryer" to get it up and running until i received a new psu. But today i tried to install the new psu, plugging all connectors into the same and nothing happened at all. this particular psu doesn't have a light on the back, just an on/off (O/I) switch. I will try the "paper clip" test tonight on the new psu.

Thanks again as always!
    [9:58PM EST]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014