1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printer page output on black injet Cartridge?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Shain776, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Shain776

Shain776 Member

How many pages would a black "Brother" cartridge put out on average? Assuming Brother printers can set the percentage of the black, to make it more gray. If I kept it at 75%, with the $20 dollar cartridge. Any Ideas?

Cartridge I would be buying:
    http://www.canadacomputers.com

P.S I know B/W laser is more cost effective in the long run but am looking for numbers on inkjet's for other reasons.

Shain from Canada.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that link goes to their home page not to your printer.

3. Shain776

Shain776 Member

4. ddp

5. Shain776

Shain776 Member

Oh I'm in Ottawa...which I'm not proud of.:) Especially now that the whole city in caked in ice.

I found the cartrdge:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.co...us&c=ca〈=en∏=mfc5890cn_all&cao=lc

It said : "Approx. 450 pages in accordance with ISO/IEC 24711". That seemed a little generous, I checked the link that defined the standard , it goes on and on without stating the exact percentage of coverage used to print the 450 pages. If that's at %100
    coverage then wow..inkjets have come a long way...but if it's at %20 concentration then that doesn't really help anyone.

I guess no one has a rough idea just from experience?

Thanks for any feedback.

P.S is a $60 dollar "Brother' printer still going to be a complete piece of crap? I can't find an entry level ink jet that only prints by Brother.
    It does fax/scan/copy and print all for 60$. My stand alone scanner cost over $100.
    How can they offer all that for so little? Or is just that the tech has gone down that much now? Just curious as I feel a little skeptical.

Printer
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=569_34_458&item_id=037028

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  6. ddp

that coverage i think is 5%. a new cartridge costs more then a new printer with a starter cartridge as a starter cartridge is about half full. my new hp color laser cost me $100 as it was on sale on boxing day. the 3 starter color cartridges do about 750 pages wereas new cartridges do about 1400 pages. the black cartridge does about 750 pages wereas the full cartridge does about 2400 pages. each new full cartridge is just under $100 a piece so just under $400 for the 4 cartridges. will have to see how much they cost to be refilled.

7. Shain776

Shain776 Member

Sorry I didn't emphasize INKJET cartridges in my original post..duh. But mentioned that in my follow up

I know black laser output is really good. I'm trying to get the numbers on inkjet because there's cheaper optional color if I ever have photos. Also I have some chemical sensitives and have read about toner particles coming out of laser printers being potentialy mildly hazardous. I remember laser printers always having this kind of smell, I don't how bad in would get where it's in an inclosed space.

That's why I'm looking at inkjet. But if those tests are done at 5% that would be so lightly printed it would be practically invisible!

8. ddp

i know you are talking about inkjet. i was just telling you by example why new printers are cheaper then a new cartidge whether an inkjet or a laser. a laser is about the same as a photocopier so do you have a problem with photocopier smell & possible particles? that 5% i think is amount of the sheet of paper is printed on wereas 100% is totally black using black ink with no white paper showing thru.

9. Shain776

Shain776 Member

OHHH..ok that %5 percent explanation makes more sense now. The link you gave me with the cartridge statistics said 450 pages using that protocol. That's enough pages for the $22. If those are reliable stats then I'm satisfied with that...
    and with the ink jet there's the option for cheaper color photos and not worrying about the toner smell.

The xerox doesn't bother me but I've never been in an enclosed space around it repeatedly. I can always buy a printer with decent return policy if the inkjet turns out to not print enough take it back and get the laser.

But that answers my thread question about the inkjet cartridge output. Thanks alot...i'm off to Staples!

10. ddp

no problem.