1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing PSU

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by baddassb, Mar 21, 2014.

1. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

I'm assuming my pc needs a new psu and it currently has a 250W psu installed. Can I replace it with a 550W without causing harm to the pc? It's the only psu I can find online at the moment. It's a HP Pavilion p6203w I'm working with.

Thank you in advance.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

you cant damage your computer by installing a psu of any wattage.no matter how powerful the psu it only delivers what is required of it.if a component draws 100w then the psu will only deliver 100w not matter its rated output.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

as long as psu fits into the case then you should be alright.

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

and make sure it has all the proper connectors for your motherboard...
    no since in overkill so don't go too far out. if your computer came with a 250watt and you haven't changed anything to require more power then just bump it up a little, like 300 or 350watt and that will handle it. go to Newegg.com and you should be able to find what you need with some good prices.

5. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Ok, thank you. I asked because on the current psu, it states a maximum so i thought that meant i should only install no more than that. Glad to hear this because i can only find an inexpensive 550w. Thanks as always,

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

That'll work..... :)

7. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

I'm hoping it'll solve the problem because I'm only replacing it because the pc wouldn't power up, back green light was constantly flashing and fan wasn't spinning. I got it powered up using a blow dryer but once powered back down, I have to use blow dryer again to power up again. It's been running for the past cpl days until psu is delivered. Did I mention the current psu's label states a maximum of 300W? Thanks as always!

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you can use even a 1000 watt psu with no problem. the max 300 watts means that all the devices in the computer like motherboard, all drives, ram, fans & other cards cannot use more than 300 watts or psu goes pop & stops working.

9. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Oh, ok! Thanks much. Will keep posting and hopefully the replacement will solve this issue. Thanks again to all, as always!