1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 desktop shuts off at boot.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by stilts07, Jun 2, 2014.

1. stilts07

stilts07 Member

I just downloaded and installed Wolfenstein enemy territory and it was downloading and updating the soft ware and my computer just shut off for no reason. I tried starting my computer multiple times and it is just as the boot screen then shuts off again for no reason. and again....and again...and again...............and guess what?......AGAIN! how do i get my computer to sto doing that and run normal.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

go into the bios for 2 reasons, 1 to see if it happens there & 2 to look in hardware monitor to see what the cpu temperature is at.

3. stilts07

stilts07 Member

CPU Temperature is 154 F
    Sys Temp 100 F
    NB Temp is 123 F.

I had it shut off for a few hours and this is what i got after starting it back up.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

theres your answer.thats smokin hot.check your fans to make sure they are spinning,but first check your cpu cooler.it sounds like the holdowns have let go and its not attached firmly to the cpu.this would be a good time to clean the cpu and heatsink and apply new thermo compound.whoa,just looked at the temps and saw they were in farenheit.while not smoking hot they could be problematical.post your system specs so we can see the temp limits.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

If the PC was off for a "few hours" it shouldn't be reading that hot from a cold boot.

Agree that it would be useful to know your system spec.

6. ChappyTTV

ChappyTTV Member

Actually, it's not "smokin" hot, only 67 C and that's just on the "getting hot" side for most CPU's. Don't get me wrong tho, it's still way too warm for what he was doing and there shouldn't have been that much CPU activity to get it up to that temp. I only get into those ranges when I'm converting B-ray.
    What IS worrying is that's after it had been sitting for a couple hours...what did it ultimately get to, and why? There's no way a d'load would do that.

Edit - Just read your entire post and saw that you had corrected yourself..lol!

7. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

In case you're still having trouble, make sure that your CPU fan is dust free and working properly. Just surfing the Internets might work alright without adequate cooling, but running a game will definitely get you into trouble quick if the CPU overheats.