1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP machine shutting down randomly

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 75aces, Feb 10, 2013.

1. 75aces

75aces Regular member

I am in need of tech support. I have done everything I could short of replacing my drive and reinstalling XP. The situation is that my xp machine is shutting down maybe 30 minutes at a time on it's own. I recently noticed that the computer is now shutting down immediately after logging into xp. I am currently running Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and Microsoft Security Essentials. All of the softwares are up to date as of Saturday. I asked a co worker and he suggested that I may have a virus that shuts the system down. I ran a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and it reported no findings. With Malwarebytes, it said to be 2 threats but it was not able to complete the scan since the system is constantly shutting down. CCleaner noted no findings.

Yesterday I tried using Windows defender on a usb thumb drive. It also noted no findings and when I try to run a full scan, it shuts down.

Has anyone experienced or seen a virus take over when trying to run a full system scan on their anti virus software only to get turned off? And when you reboot, it just powers down? I am considering trying a different hard drive and try it in my xp machine. Thanks for any insight and support.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Has the dust and cat hairs been removed from the cpu and fan grills recently.

3. attar

attar Senior member

BTW, you can check the CPU temp by booting into the bios screen.
    You can probably find a free app that will let you check it too.

[​IMG]

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

75aces, your cpu is doing a thermal shutdown to protect itself. do as attar says but also make certain the cpu heatsink\fan assembly is properly seated & the cpu fan is spinning because if not then that is causing your problem.