1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best mod setup for SNES emu

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by simons81, May 5, 2010.

1. simons81

simons81 Member

Hi there. I have a Gamecube that I don't really use anymore. I was thinking about bringing it back to life with some SNES emulation, but I'm not sure which mod is best and most cost effective. Should I go Viper Extreme or SD card based? Any pointers would be awesome. I see stuff about the $19.99 SD media launcher but I don't know if this would work for SNES emulation or not.

I'm also curious how accurate the SNES emulation is. I've used SNES emulators for a long time and it's sorta hit or miss depending on the platform. Thanks for any help / suggestions.

2. Menion

Menion Regular member

the Viper is a good chip easy to install and no swapping needed but remember you have to adjust the POT and Ridata Ritek is really the only media that works well in the cube, you can burn the entire rom set to a DVD-R and save to official GC memory card.

If you get the SD Media Launcher, you may still need to adjust the POT but you can boot the roms from the SD card that way but you always have to swap discs before hand so its up to you $20-$40 difference

If I went at it again I would just get the Xeno chip for $12 easiest install out there and would serve your purpose, the wiring harness and connecting wire for the Viper is very cheaply made and seriously not even worth it.

The SNES emulation from what I have experienced appears to be near 100% there has only been a few games i played where i "think" it was just a bit slow otherwise they all played the way I remember them
    Good Luck!

3. simons81

simons81 Member

Thank you much for the reply. It seems like GC emulators were big for a while, but finding info is starting to become scarce, so thanks much for your time. So if I get a Xeno chip, that requires I solder it onto the board, right? Is it an easy install? I have soldered stuff but I'm not too great at it. Besides the chip and a tool to open the Gamecube, would it just be a matter of burning mini-DVDs with my emulator and ROMs? Or would I need to adjust the pot still?

Thanks again.

4. Menion

Menion Regular member

Yes you would solder it to the board under the DVD drive (No wires needed) Youtube has a video showing the install in less than 3 minutes very easy.
    when you buy the Xeno chip most people sell the GC tool otherwise you can heat up the casing of a bic pen with a lighter and shove it in there and mold your own but i would get the special bit.

As for the Pot it depends.. The pot is adjusted so the laser can actually read the disc if you mod it and it dosent read anything most likely the POT needs to be adjusted, but I highly reccomend you use Ridata Ritek media as it is the best for the GC. I have a panasonic Q I refuse to take apart and it dosent read anything but the Ridata DVD-R's.

Ive covered the GC emulators in previous posts so just look back to those for the links set everything up right, get ridata media, mod the cube give it a go and if it works your golden if not just let us know and we can move on to the POT issue if that is the case
    Good Luck!

Last edited: May 9, 2010