AfterDawn Forums

How to load Ps2 games from USB

This discussion thread has 19 messages.

#1
Hey. Just a quick question. How do you boot up PS2 games from a usb flash drive? I have a Fat ps2 softmodded with FreeMcboot saved on the memory card, A 1gb Usb drive, a 2gb Usb drive, and a 4gb usb drive. I have Argon media player working on the ps2 so im not that bad at this stuff. but the main reason i did this was for the games, because right now i dont have a ps3. Do You have to have a usb hardrive? would a flash drive work?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Jul 2011 @ 15:01

The mind of Hades, The status of Zeus, and the power of Poseidon. Cross me if you dare.
▼▼ This topic has 18 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
#2
Not all flash drives will work and your speed at loading times will be slightly slower but some work
you need a program called open ps2 loader there are others but this one is the best
and you will also need a program called usb util
here is the link fro open ps2 loader : http://sksapps.com/opl/downloads/OpenPS2Loader_0.7.zip
here is yhe link for USB_utill :http://sksapps.com/hd/USBUtil_v200_full_en.rar
know put open ps2 loader aside we will use that latter

now open the .exe file in the package and then click file and now you have to chises if you want to make a backup from the drive you chose "Create [GAME/ISO]from CD/DVD"
if you want to use an iso you backed up yourself(i do not support piracy)chose "Create game from ISO the rest is pretty easy you put the flash drive in the computer and under the one where it says to you chose the flash drive and then you chose the iso and name the game it may take a while

now you have the game in the flash drive put the flash drive in the ps2 open ps2 loader trough freemcboot and it's pretty straight forward chose usb from the OPSloader menu and you will see your game
#3
Thanks man. Another thing, though im not sure this goes here, In ps2, freemcboot installed, i have some videos i want to play with sms player. Now, animations work fine, but i have some higher resolution videos, like 720x1280, avi format, but it recognises it as a music file, not a video file, and only plays the sound. Any ideas?, by the way, these arent cartoons/ animation.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Jul 2011 @ 17:21

The mind of Hades, The status of Zeus, and the power of Poseidon. Cross me if you dare.
#4
Originally posted by SonGoku21:
Thanks man. Another thing, though im not sure this goes here, In ps2, freemcboot installed, i have some videos i want to play with sms player. Now, animations work fine, but i have some higher resolution videos, like 720x1280, avi format, but it recognises it as a music file, not a video file, and only plays the sound. Any ideas?
i don't understand that much about sms but even if it recognized it wouldn't play because the ps2 cant handle such resolutions
the max it can handle is 720x576 rescale them and see if they work
#5
Thanks, Yeah I changed the resolution to "TV Quality" in Free Make Video converter, and It works great, though could PS3 play higher res videos off a usb?

The mind of Hades, The status of Zeus, and the power of Poseidon. Cross me if you dare.
#6
Originally posted by SonGoku21:
Thanks, Yeah I changed the resolution to "TV Quality" in Free Make Video converter, and It works great, though could PS3 play higher res videos off a usb?
not trough sms but i think the ps3 can play hd content
i am not entirely sure has i do not own a ps3
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Jul 2011 @ 19:14
#7
Thanks, I don't own one yet, and am wondering if it is a good investment.

The mind of Hades, The status of Zeus, and the power of Poseidon. Cross me if you dare.
#8
Originally posted by SonGoku21:
Thanks, I don't own one yet, and am wondering if it is a good investment.
well i would wait until someone cracks up dual boot so people can have both CFW and OFW a lot of people are trying on dual boot so in a few moths it will be probably viable so i would wait until then
#9
Whats a "Dual Boot." Sorry for showing my ignorance.

The mind of Hades, The status of Zeus, and the power of Poseidon. Cross me if you dare.
#10
dual boot is having 2 different ps3 firmware installed for example the latest to play online and 3.55 custom firmware to play backups and use homebrew
that is what i am wating for before i buy one
#11
Oh, so its like installing 2 OS'S on one computer?

The mind of Hades, The status of Zeus, and the power of Poseidon. Cross me if you dare.
#12
Originally posted by SonGoku21:
Oh, so its like installing 2 OS'S on one computer ?
exactly but it is not installed in the hdd the firmware is installed in a special memory look i won't go to details but it's basically like installing 2 OS'S on one computer like you said
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 31 Jul 2011 @ 16:54
#13
Ok. Ill see if i could find out anything

The mind of Hades, The status of Zeus, and the power of Poseidon. Cross me if you dare.
#14
Hey you still here? Your method worked great for loading from usb, though i use both openps2loader, and usb advance. But back to the point. I was playing god of war, off of usb, and after the second check point, a cutscene came up with nude women, and at that time my mom walked in. And the world knows nudity and sex doesnt run good with the parents, so if theres a list or anything listing these type of scenes, I'd be truly greatfull. even though Im 16 turning 17 she still doesnt approve.

The mind of Hades, The status of Zeus, and the power of Poseidon. Cross me if you dare.
#15
Originally posted by SonGoku21:
Hey you still here? Your method worked great for loading from usb, though i use both openps2loader, and usb advance. But back to the point. I was playing god of war, off of usb, and after the second check point, a cutscene came up with nude women, and at that time my mom walked in. And the world knows nudity and sex doesnt run good with the parents, so if theres a list or anything listing these type of scenes, I'd be truly greatfull. even though Im 16 turning 17 she still doesnt approve.
i am sorry but i laugh my ass off

there is just Google god of war cut scenes and you will probably find them
#16
hey i need your help once again. Like i said before, the god of war iso was working, but now it sticks in the cutscene right after you save the oracle, on a picture of his wife and kid. I tried 2 iso's and the same thing. any ideas? how do you rebuild a game? and what is that for?

The mind of Hades, The status of Zeus, and the power of Poseidon. Cross me if you dare.
#17
Originally posted by SonGoku21:
hey i need your help once again. Like i said before, the god of war iso was working, but now it sticks in the cutscene right after you save the oracle, on a picture of his wife and kid. I tried 2 iso's and the same thing. any ideas? how do you rebuild a game? and what is that for?
i can't help you there you have t make a new thread cause i don't know how to help you probably a patch is needed make a new thread and someone like smokyrain
will be able to help you because both my gow 1 and 2 aren't backed up my drive can't read dvd 9 and i didn't knew how to backup games when i bought the first so yea .And let this thread die because if you need something else you should make a new thread so more people can see it
#18
hi there.
is there a wayh of installing free mcboot and the usb loader without the need of a cheat/disk.
and if so, is there a link to it.
ive tried searching for the info, but i dont know excatly what to search for so its not much help.
thanks
#19
Theres a way with one single game thats almost guarnteed to work. you need to get james bond agent under fire if you dont have it. when you get it, ill be glad to help. hey guys, i need some help with something. it may not be ps2 related but, theres this girl i like and we know each other really good, and now shes come to think of me as a brother. how do i get out of the bro position and into the bf position?

The mind of Hades, The status of Zeus, and the power of Poseidon. Cross me if you dare.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.