1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recently aquired an old Xbox, pre-modded

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by cain532, Sep 28, 2010.

1. cain532

cain532 Member

So, I turn on the Xbox and it comes up with an error message, I think it's error 5 (it's been a few weeks) I searched on the forums and they said that I need to dump the eeprom etc. by using yet another modded Xbox console. I know nobody that has another modded Xbox, and I find it would be fruitless to buy yet another Xbox and mod it, because the one I bought has a plethora of games downloaded that I am quite anxious to play. It's been installed with an old (and I mean REALLY OLD) Apex mod chip, I re-soldered the pins back to their respective locations, booted up the Xbox, and then I get the error screen.

I've read that it's a problem that the HDD is locked, and I have to use some sort of program to unlock it by reading the eeprom, but the problem with that is, I can't even get it all set up. There hasn't been a tutorial (That I found) that can help me and I was hoping somebody out there has had a similar issue and might be able to help.

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

error5 means the drive is UNLOCKED .. the chip obviously isn't functioning. check the d0 connection as that's usually the problem.. you can ground it to the nearby screw instead of teh chip to force the chip bios to load.. and if that doesn't work you will need to follow usual failed chip procedures.

bored now.. 8 years on and still dealing with the same noobish nonsense. Read all the guides.. it's all in there.

3. cain532

cain532 Member

Like I said, I looked around on the forum to find more information on it, and I searched for a solid couple weeks before I posted anything on here. I appreciate the help, but the blurb at the bottom of your reply is quite distasteful. If it upsets you so badly, then just walk away and ignore it, no sense in letting the little things in life bug you. All I'm asking for is a bit of professionalism here.

4. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

you have to be more specific relating to the error you have; error 5 is an unlocked hdd.
    solution; boot from a working mod chip and then relock it (the modchip will read the eeprom of the mainboard for you; use configmagic f.i. to lock the hdd while it is and using your xbox)

or

build a eeprom reader and read the eeprom from your mainboard directly and lock it with that eeprom (use a cd/usb stick created with xboxhdm to lock the hdd if you have the correct eeprom using your computer).

error 6 on the other hand means locked with the wrong eeprom. then you first need to unlock the hdd with the eeprom that it was locked with (which you hopefully have); then you need to either boot from a modchip to relock the hdd with the correct eeprom; or build the eeprom reader to read the eeprom directly of the mainboard.

a working modchip does not require the hdd to be locked, so you should be able to boot a unlocked hdd of the modchip. if you cannot boot an unlocked hdd, try to boot a bootdisc of the modchip. if that doesn't work, your modchip is not working (buy another) or you dvd drive is not able to read the bootdisc (media issue, try another media and/or clean the lens).

good luck