AfterDawn Forums

DVD Shrink Not recognizing the DVD drive

This discussion thread has 11 messages.

#1
Hello,

I bought a new laptop with Home Premium 64Bit Windows 7 and installed DVD Shrink version 3.2.0.15 and installed Nero 10 Multimedia Suite.

I want to rip some folders containing ripped DVDs, ripped using DVD Shrink before installing Nero, to a DVD.

But DVD Shrink does not recognize the D:\ drive where the DVD is. So when I press the Backup button, I get the Backup DVD window, and under Select Backup Target there is a drop down that only has 2 options: Create IOS Image File and Hard Disk Folder.

What should I do to get this resolved and be able to rip to a DVD?

Should I have installed Nero before DVD Shrink, or is there any other tricks?

Thanks

Waseem
▼▼ This topic has 10 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
#2
There is no need to re-rip,the dvd has previously been ripped & burned yes,then open the disc & copy & paste to hdd or drag n drop

the button to the very left when you first open shrink "open disc" is what you use to access disc,backup isn't used till you have selected title/s

AD Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com guides/
Console Mod Tuts: http://www.realmodscene.com/

#3
moved to correct forum as not a windows issue.
#4
Originally posted by scorpNZ:
There is no need to re-rip,the dvd has previously been ripped & burned yes,then open the disc & copy & paste to hdd or drag n drop

the button to the very left when you first open shrink "open disc" is what you use to access disc,backup isn't used till you have selected title/s
Thanks scorpNZ

But sorry I do not understand your reply. My issue is that DVD Shrink is not giving me the option to use my DVD drive as a target for backing up.

I already have the DVDs ripped and sitting in a folder on my Hard drive. Now I want to use DVD Shrink to go directly to DVDs vs. my hard drive.

What should I do to get DVD Shrink to recognize my DVD drive as target.

Thanks again.

Waseemn
#5
I don't believe shrink can burn to dvd with nero on 64bit w7 machines,tho you could try enabling burn with nero in preferences then try,if no go then just switch to nero either by using burn video file or let shrink create an iso then burn manually,you could try seeing if there's mention of letting imgburn do it from shrink

there is another option & that's dvfab it has it's own burn engine just be sure to set burn speed in settings,your file output for single layer dvd from fab can be increased to 4485 without overburn,this will reduce amount of compression required
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Jul 2012 @ 19:37

AD Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com guides/
Console Mod Tuts: http://www.realmodscene.com/

#6
The latest version of DVDFab is available.DVDFab 8.1.9.6 (17/07/2012).

20 Year U.S.Army Veteran.Vietnam 1969-1972 101st Abn.Div.
#7
Originally posted by scorpNZ:
I don't believe shrink can burn to dvd with nero on 64bit w7 machines
Wow now that is a bummer.



Originally posted by scorpNZ:
tho you could try enabling burn with nero in preferences then try
Yes I checked the options and this one was turned on by default. I was under the impression that I may have had the software installation backwards.


Originally posted by scorpNZ:
if no go then just switch to nero either by using burn video file or let shrink create an iso then burn manually,you could try seeing if there's mention of letting imgburn do it from shrink
Yes I guess this is going to be my option, is there any good source of step by step description of this process somewhere on the Net? I have been used to simply put the DVD in, run DVD Shrink and wait until it asks me to put in the empty DVD and soon there after I have my backup copy. I wish we could have software that is so simple to use.

Originally posted by scorpNZ:
there is another option & that's dvfab it has it's own burn engine just be sure to set burn speed in settings,your file output for single layer dvd from fab can be increased to 4485 without overburn,this will reduce amount of compression required
Yes I installed DVDFab Copy to test it, but it is again not allowing me to set my DVD as a target like DVD Shrink. I mean is this not a feature in this kind of software? You say it has its own burning engine, how do I engage it so that it will ask me to place an empty disk and get a backup right away?

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it a lot.

Waseemn
#8
Originally posted by JST1946:
The latest version of DVDFab is available.DVDFab 8.1.9.6 (17/07/2012).
Thanks JST1946

is there a help file somewhere on the Internet that I can check and learn how to work with this software?

Also, please look at my reply to scorpNZ and share your thoughts about what I am trying to get done.

Thanks

Waseemn
#9
Yes click on the little blue dot in the upper right hand corner with the ? mark in it.It has a tutorial that you can use.The green dot is your custom settings.

http://www.dvdfab.com/faq
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Jul 2012 @ 12:21

20 Year U.S.Army Veteran.Vietnam 1969-1972 101st Abn.Div.
#10
turn on vso that is the burn engine,you would've been given option to do so on install

AD Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com guides/
Console Mod Tuts: http://www.realmodscene.com/

#11
Originally posted by Waseemn:
Yes I guess this is going to be my option, is there any good source of step by step description of this process somewhere on the Net?

Official DVD Shrink FAQ.

MultiMakeMKV: batch processing for MakeMKV (Win)
MultiShrink
: batch processing for DVD Shrink
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.