1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI converted video plays on computer, not dvd player

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Tipiford, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Tipiford

Tipiford Newbie

I converted an AVI video to DVD and it plays on a PC but not on a DVD player. I have created DVDs from other AVI videos without this problem. Any suggestions?

2. attar

attar Senior member

If it was correctly authored using decent software, plays OK on the PC and it's not a PAL version being played on an NTSC standalone, then that suggests the media.
    The only readily available disks that are consistently reliable are Verbatim disks (not their 'Value Series')which say 'AZO' on the package and have been burned at a moderate speed.

Mez likes this.
  3. Tipiford

Tipiford Newbie

Thanx for the response. This file was converted to IFO/VOB files with AVI2DVD, saved to ISO with Shrink and burned to disc with Imgburn. I only use Verbatim DVD-R discs (95102-4.7GB) and DVD+R discs (95310-8.5GB). (I have always burned at the default speed in Imageburn/Decrypter.) I no longer have the AVI file to look at, but I do have the IFO/VOB files; is there a way to decipher the version (PAL/NTSC) from the IFO/VOB files?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  4. attar

attar Senior member

5. Tipiford

Tipiford Newbie

Thanx much. I downloaded Gspot from your link and, sure enough, it read the AVI file and it was PAL output. I will watch that PAL to NTSC conversion whenever I'm using AVI2DVD.

6. samiapple

samiapple Newbie

Not all AVI can be supported by DVD player actually. AVI is a container video format which may encoded with different video codecs like DivX, Xvid, MPEG-4, H.263, WMV, MPEG-1 and etc. If the AVI video is not encoded the DVD player compatible codec, DVD player won’t play AVI files. In fact, some too old standalone DVD players can’t play AVI at all. Only new DVD players can play AVI files which is encoded with DivX.

7. Mez

Mez Active member

Sam that problem might be explained by the fact really old players don't play burned disks because they are not reflective enough.

8. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

My 1998 Dansai plays rw disks fine.. has trouble with modern multi layer printed disks tho ;) .. but every player is different.. certain disks are to be well avoided.. tdk/memosux/maxell .. run for the hills.. :D