1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Authoring (multiple menus)

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by convoy71, Dec 4, 2013.

1. convoy71

convoy71 Member

Ok...I made 2 dvds so far with dvd styler...one dvd I made 3 separate menus with many videos, worked fine...But the third disc I prepared alot more menus, 1 menu has about 12 videos...while 2 others have about 4-5 videos...the dvd styler said something wrong with byte rate before it even begin encoding...all the videos are mp4 and are less 2-4 minutes in length a piece...(I was hoping to fix this with mp3 (with sources call "mp3 file managing")..

I am creating a set of dvds for a friend who (was) a celebrity and doesnt want to spend $$$$.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Not clear what you want.
    Are you making a DVD movie that uses mp3 audio or trying to make a DVD with separate menu selections that are mp3 music files?
    MP3 in a DVD movie isn't allowed.
    If you want music selections they have to be AC3 and associated with a video (which could be blank) or a still.

3. convoy71

convoy71 Member

Ok, what kind of audio files are permitted in a dvd in the format of a file manager but can be seen if played in a dvd player (with images and menus)

4. attar

attar Senior member

You create a DVD compliant image and add the image file and the AC3 audio to an authoring program like MuxMan.
    It creates a small DVD in a VIDEO_TS folder with the running time of the audio.
    I assume that your program can accept a vob file as input.

5. convoy71

convoy71 Member

I download one but looks very complicated, no idea how to associate.

6. attar

attar Senior member

Here's an example of one audio file on a still image being selected from a menu.
    I used Paint to make a 720x480 image;added the image and an AC3 audio file to MuxMan.
    Used AVStoDVD to open the VOB and had it create a menu.

https://www.mediafire.com/?6y01sf4gkct8mpn

7. convoy71

convoy71 Member

I did download your video but even VLN wouldnt open it. Heard the audio though.

8. convoy71

convoy71 Member

I did attempt to work with the muxman...converted a jpg file to .bmp, then converted an mp3 files to .ac3...the muxman accepted the bmp file...I tried inputting the .ac3, it saw the file but it was "rejected". ?????????????

9. attar

attar Senior member

Make sure the sampling rate of the audio is 48000Hz.

10. convoy71

convoy71 Member

how/where do you change that?

11. attar

attar Senior member

What did you use to convert the file to AC3.

12. convoy71

convoy71 Member

Ok...things seems to beginning to go in the right direction. But it also seems I would have to make separate images and use the muxman program to merge the audio file...I clicked on what became a .VOB file, and image/song activated.

I might have this problem finally defeated...the dvdstyler accepted the .VOB file and a button properties attached (vob file became a title) to title I selected.

THANK YOU!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  13. attar

attar Senior member

You have to save the various outputs from MuxMan in separate folders, but you can reuse the image.

14. convoy71

convoy71 Member

Im going to attach images of the original records to each ac3 file. As long as the encoding problem is solved(not sure there yet). In a way its better because it would have been very cheesy having so many music videos that are in fact not videos.

15. attar

attar Senior member

I don't know how far you want to get into it, but if your images in the vob files from MuxMan look like they have the wrong aspect ratio, it's because they probably weren't saved correctly in the Paint program.
    Ideally, the image should be pasted onto a 4:3 aspect ratio canvas - for NTSC that would be 720x540.
    The image is then resized to 720x480 and saved/loaded into MuxMan.
    When it's resized it's squashed in the vertical.
    When MuxMan creates the movie it flags the video with the correct aspect ratio (4:3).
    When the movie is played back by a media player that respects the A.R., the image is displayed correctly.
    These images are:
    1.The 720x540 correct aspect ratio.
    2.resized and squashed.
    3.what you see on playback - it now looks like 1.
    None of this applies if the image is blank or a single colour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. convoy71

convoy71 Member

Ok...its been a few days and tried a few different things. I did get the .ac3 and .vob files saved into an .iso image file...images were fine, their size ratios no problem....Problem became apparently during burning to dvd...

Once I played the dvd disc in player, most of the 11 songs, the songs opening lyrics were how should say, delayed/fast forwarded/cut where it would start 3-5 into the songs lyrics. Thats CRAZY!

Then I ran into insomnia just last night and at 2am thought up, a great idea, (should have been fool proof)...When back into the project file and removed the .vob titles....Replaced them with menu pages with images and "background" mp3 music. That worked on the first dvd of 3. Made 11 song menu pages. It worked once I encoded into an .iso image file.

BUT.....when I played in the dvd player...None of the songs played....Wait a minute it worked on a the 1 menu of the first disc with a background music.....Come on! What is happening besides wasting dvds...Someone it getting me a pack of dvd-rw's the figure out a solution.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  17. attar

attar Senior member

I tested my compilation consisting of six stills with the same audio (150 seconds) on three DVD players;they all started at the beginning by menu selection and by skipping through them with the remote (I use RW disks for testing).
    AVStoDVD was used to author the disk and loaded the videos into it by selecting the IFO file, not the VOB - this ensures that the video is indexed, don't know if it makes a diff.
    I can upload it if you want (~20 MB) to compare.

18. convoy71

convoy71 Member

Yeah Im gonna do something testing with dvd-rw's too. I will try the avstodvd and the ifo file instead. thanks will let you know.

Why wouldnt multiple menu's with background sounds work?, if the iso file worked, should have on dvd.

I did try the avstodvd program, I did not like having no control of menus...seems to focus more on video and button controls (couldnt delete what the program posts). Staying with dvd styler.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  19. attar

attar Senior member

You could create a dvd compliant m2v video with the same running time as the audio using ffmpeg - if DVD Styler will accept elementary video and audio.
    That way you know the video has the correct number of frames for the running time of the audio.

Code:
    ffmpeg -loop 1 -i sinatra.bmp  -aspect 4:3 -t 00:03:29 -target ntsc-dvd sinatra.m2v

20. convoy71

convoy71 Member