1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAVC JERKY PLAYBACK HELP

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by rogue20, Jul 11, 2009.

1. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Hi, i've used FAVC in the past with no problems, but now every converted video file when viewed either in VLC or when burned to dvd has a jerky stop start play back. It seems to stop every second for a milli-second which makes it very jerky and unwatchable.

I have noticed this exact same problem in the trial version of DVD Movie Factory 6 Plus.

Have a problem with DVD Flick also but i think it's just the video file, getting pulsating noise twice a second in certain scenes, on white clothing, around heads, and some close ups, the effect is like digital tv noise that flicks on and off, just spoils an other wise fantastic looking dvd conversion.

I know i've probably missed the obvious with FAVC but any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

This can occur if the file you converted was at 25 frames p/s,
    and you converted it to an NTSC (29.97 fps) DVD.
    (Problem may also occur if you do the reverse)

If it is 25 > 29.97, give AVStoDVD a try because it has a special mode
    to handle the frame difference.

3. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Hi, thanks for the reply, no there's no conversion between PAL and NTSC, all files are being converted to frame rate, 23-29 frames NTSC, 25 frames PAL etc, i know the judder effect with one clicking dvd authoring programs, this is completely different.

I just updated FAVC and it's a lot better, almost normal, with a WMV file that was bad, but i did get these error's: Warning Small Source Mismatch Found, Pass 2, Frame Count 241 288 370 through to 474.

The mkv file i've been testing is still completely jerky thought, i was thinking it might be AviSynth or my NET Framework at fault.

4. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Update, the mkv file gives this error:

Error Large Source Mismatch Found Pass 2, Starting Frame: 0 Count: 2 Frame ???

It seems it's the secound pass where the problem starts, i have an earlier version of ConvertXtoDVD but just wanted that extra quality with two pass encoding, DVD Flick is working well but has some issues also, can't ever remember FAVC having these problems when i used it before.

If your interested i have WinAVIVideoConverter 7.1, it has a dvd authoring button, i hadn't used it for authoring before, it's amazing quality for speed, about a quarter of the time of DVD Flick, obviously not as good quality but close, equal if not better then ConvertXtoDVD and faster.

5. davexnet

davexnet Active member

I've seen this error before, of course, it only applies to the
    2-pass encode. Try the 1-pass Hcenc encode and see if the jerkiness
    vanishes.
    If you want something else to try,
    create a new user profile and logon as that user and run the encode.
    I experienced the same problem, and after doing this,
    HCenc 2-pass encode started working again

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  6. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Hi, thanks again, i will give that a try and let you know what happens.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  7. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Hi, thought i would let you know how i got on, well i created a new account and tried again, got the same results. Moved the location of the sample video files folder to the same partition as FAVC, encoded a 720p mkv file, 2 pass, the one with the mismatch source error, didn't get any errors but out-put was still very jerky or stuttering. Tried single pass predictive quantization, no errors, better but still jerky.

Next a 720p WMV file, 2 pass, this was very bad when encoded before, this time i got the warning error, mismatch etc, but when played it was only stuttering in few places, far better, nearly ok, tried single pass predictive quantization, same as 2 pass.

Tried a 720p QuickTime sample movie and it encoded perfectly, will try a avi file and some lower resolution mkv files later. So still not sure what the problem is, apart that FACV may not be to good with mkv and WMV video files or it's the 720p resolution, or it could be my computer, in the past i've only used FACV with a single core processor in my old pc, i've now got a AMD dual core 5000+ cpu.

Stil got DVD Flick to fall back on, with it's minor issues, and ConvertXtoDVD, flawless in all respects, apart from it doesn't have 2 pass encoding so the video quality is lower, thanks for your help and advice, much appreciated.

8. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Thanks for your feedback.
    Regarding the "source mismatch" issue - I looked on the net
    at the time, but couldn't find anything definitive as to the cause or
    the expected encode result. You're getting jerky output
    even on the CQ, 1-pass encode? Seems as if something beyond the
    "source mismatch" is the issue - then what is the effect of the
    source mismatch?

When I created a new profile on mine, it completely cleared it up,
    which is why I suggested it - pretty painless to try it.
    The only other thing I saw mentioned was being unable to unload
    Avisynth between the 2 passes.

Why don't you give AVStoDVD a try and see if you still get the
    jerky result. It's freeware and uses HCenc.
    http://www.digital-digest.com/software/download.php?sid=1617&ssid=0&did=1

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  9. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Tried AVStoDVD last night, got the same error, Warning Large Source Mismatch Found, Pass 2, Frame Count etc, this was one file in 2 pass mode, pretty match the same thing.

I think the files may have something to do with it, although they play perfectly before encoding and encode ok with other authoring software, when i did a batch encode with FAVC they were all very jerky, but some have encoded ok when done seperately. It's just i will get no errors with a certain file but when i try that file again i get the errors mentioned.

There's one other probably cause, when i plug any usb wireless dongle or usb DVB-T tv stick into my pc my cpu temps rise 6 to 10 degrees causing my silent pc to become very noisey. After seeking advice i was told that no motherboard should do this and that a very slow cpu might be the cause, so i could have a hardware problem.

10. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Quate:

"When I created a new profile on mine, it completely cleared it up, which is why I suggested it - pretty painless to try it".

I did try that, i take it you meant create a new user account, please excuse my ignorance if you did not mean this.