1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a DVD with .vob files

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Getalinks, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Getalinks

Getalinks Member

Hi all,

So I've been roaming the internet trying to figuere this out and every avenue I've tried hasn't worked. Here's my dillemia.

I've downloaded a number of videos from YouTube and want to make them into movies that can be watched on a DVD player. I have an XBox, a computer that plays DVDs and a Honda Pilot with an entertainment system. I'd like all three to be able to play the DVDs, but everything I've tried has given me bad discs. I've gone through about 20 DVDs so far.

The files are downloading as .vob files, but I have a program that could convert them to something else if needed. I also have the 2014 verison of Nero.

I've seen advice saying I need to add TS_AUDIO and TS_VIDEO folders, change he files to .mov, change them to WMV, change them to dozens of other file types, but I don't get a playable DVD. I don't even know if autoplay is an option.

Anyway, if someone could please help me out, i would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you in advance.

~Geta~

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. Getalinks

Getalinks Member

Ok, downloaded the program, but it looks like it's trying to convert the files to a .m2v format? Is that what I want?

Also, I put a .vob file in the program, but it's telling me the input is a .avs file. That's not right...

What am I doing wrong?

4. Getalinks

Getalinks Member

Ok, now it got to a exe program called dgpulldown and just sat there... Now what? :(

5. attar

attar Senior member

1.Top menu, 'DVD size' > 'DVD 5'.
    2.Top menu, 'Preference' > 'Video' - did you select NTSC or PAL?
    3.Top menu, 'Output' > either 'DVD folder..' or 'Burn DVD'

6. Getalinks

Getalinks Member

1. DVD 5
    2. NTSC
    3. DVD Folder, but I didn't see the Burn to DVD option before...

7. attar

attar Senior member

It's not listed?

[​IMG]

8. Getalinks

Getalinks Member

Sorry, I guess I worded that wrong. I meant I didn't see it as in wasn't looking for it. So, I let the program run all night last night and it completed successfully. When I opened the created folder, it had the standard AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS folders in the output folder. So I burned them to a DVD and tried it in the Pilot this morning. It said bad disc and ejected.

I'm confused. I've taken DVDs I own and ripped them with DVDFab and Shrunk them with DVDShrink so I could have copies of kid's movies in the car for the kids, and they work fine. They have the TS subfolders and look seemingly the same. Why do they work, but this one didn't? Any ideas?

9. attar

attar Senior member

Can DVD Shrink open the burned disk without complaint and does it play ok on the PC using a software player like MPC.
    Is it the correct video standard (NTSC for North America).

10. Getalinks

Getalinks Member

DVD Shrink takes the TS files from DVDFab and shrinks them to DVD size (4.7G). Then they can burn to the DVD.

I don't know what MPC is.

NTSC is North America.

11. attar

attar Senior member

DVD Fab?

Can DVD Shrink open the burned disk without complaint.

12. Getalinks

Getalinks Member

I don't know. I've never had a reason to do that. I can check when I get home. I've always used DVDShrink to just shrink the TS files that DVD Fab creates and get them down to DVD size so I can put them on a DVD.

Don't want to sound stupid, but what purpose would you have for trying to open burned DVD in Shrink? It's already shrunk.

13. attar

attar Senior member

You said that you tried the disk in the 'Pilot' (what's that?) - if I burn a disk and it isn't playing in a standalone DVD player, I check to see if it's been authored properly.

DVD Shrink is a reliable indicator that a disk has been authored properly if it can open the disk without issuing an error message.

If DVD Shrink accepts it, I then use a media player to play the disk on the PC.

If it plays OK. I verify that the video on the burned DVD (or the VIDEO_TS folder) is NTSC (since I'm in North America).

If everything seems OK, I suspect a bad disk - but since I only use Verbatim brand disks that have been burned using ImgBurn at a moderate 4x, I seldom get to that step.

14. Getalinks

Getalinks Member

The "Pilot" is my Honda Pilot vehicle. It has a DVD player in it and can play my burned from DVD DVDs for road trips with the kids. I will check the steps you wrote when I get home tonight.

What happens if Shrink doesn't open it? How does a disc not get authored properly and how to not do that?

15. attar

attar Senior member

If Shrink can't open it, that means the disk wasn't authored properly by AVStoDVD or the disk is defective.
    AVStoDVD saves the output to a folder - Shrink should be able to open that folder too.
    If it opens the folder , but not the disk, then it's a bad disk.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  16. Getalinks

Getalinks Member

Ok, so the DVD didnt play in the XBox or the Honda Pilot and the DVD gives me this error when I try to play it in the computer:

h*t*t*p*://s21.p*o*s*t*i*m*g*.org/nxes4if5v/error.jpg

(Sorry, forums won';t let me post a link because I'm "new". Just remove *s in the address)

DVDShrink opens it just fine though...

Im really confused now.

Oh, and by the way, my choice to Burn to DVD is greyed out.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  17. attar

attar Senior member

18. Getalinks

Getalinks Member

I think I got it. I was burning with the generic burner in my PC. When I burned the files with Nero, it looks like it plays. I'm trying a few more to make sure it's working, but I think it does. Thank you so much for ALL your help through these past couple of days.

19. Getalinks

Getalinks Member

Success!!!

20. attar

attar Senior member

Great news.
    Cheers!