1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie concerned about conversion formats/editing/standalone compatibility

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by CajunB, Nov 16, 2010.

1. CajunB

CajunB Member

I've done some reading and trying to find out something definitive. I'm attempting to edit a homemade DVD for a friend, cut some clips from it, add fade effects in between the clips, and reburn to DVD. I don't want to lose any quality but also ensure it's compatible with standalone DVD players.

I have Pinnacle's Video Spin to make the clips, add the fadeouts in between, and easily output to DVD. Only problem is it doesn't allow me to start with the .VOB on the DVD. I have Xilisoft's Video Converter Ultimate which allows me to rip it into a format accepted by Video Spin (mpg, mpeg4, mp2, mp4, among few other formats). I initially thought go and rip it into MPEG-4, MPEG-2, or AVI using it's HD settings w/highest quality and sound but wondering if will create sync or other problems. For best quality and least issues, should I go down to one of the standard video MPEG-4, MPEG-2, AVI, or other outputs?

Since Pinnacle can output (encode?) to AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, or DivX do I need to be concerned about what format I use for the initial file ripped from the DVD? And to be most compatible with standalone DVD players and maintains quality, which is the best?

Mostly just comfortable with Pinnacle's Video Spin for the editing - but wondering if I'm creating more steps than needed or creating potential compatibility/playback issues... Bottom line is I want to edit some clips from this DVD, add a fade effect in between each, and burn back to DVD to play on a standalone player without having to spend days learning the tools! Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. CajunB

CajunB Member

As a followup - rather than messing around with Xilisoft, would it be simpler and get the same results if I used VOB2MPEG? I wouldn't lose much if any quality would I? Xilisoft allows for high quality conversions and choices, but thinking that could just introduce more sync or other problems?

Then just use Video Spin to make my edits and output to a standalone dvd player compatible format (choices are AVI, DivX, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4). If reading right, DivX is the best choice for quality and compatibility or ?

And finally can burn this to DVD using DVD Santa. Also reading, I need to make sure I have all the latest codecs installed up front, right?

Thanks in advance, and sorry but reading doesn't always answer or clarify all...and trying to learn!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  3. attar

attar Senior member

Since it's an unprotected DVD, you can drag the VIDEO_TS folder off the disk onto the Desktop.
    The VOB files are mpeg2 video and the goal is a new DVD, thus the editing project should stay in mpeg2 format.

Not familiar with the software, but it should load the entire movie from that folder.
    It should only re-encode the transitions that you add, thus most of the source is unchanged as far as quality.

The project, being DVD compliant, should author back to DVD without re-encoding.

If, for any reason the editor cannot load the VOB files, the likes of Vob2Mpg can convert them to a single mpeg2 file without loss of quality.

4. CajunB

CajunB Member

Thanks! The Video Spin editor doesn't allow for loading the original VOB, so will have to use Vob2Mpg first. I figure best to use Vob2Mpg rather than Xilisoft, which has a multitude of output choices/settings and possible "side-effects".

Then use the Video Spin editor to cut selected video clips from this "converted" MPEG-2 video file and add my fades in between each clip. Once done editing, I should stay with MPEG-2 as the output format in Video Spin to keep it the same (and maintain DVD compliance)? I shouldn't choose DivX or any of the others? And finally this should provide good compatibility for playing on a standalone DVD player and/or PC? Of course concerned about maintaining best quality I can, but that's secondary to compatibility.

Just as a side question, if I chose to use Xilisoft and output using MPEG-2 (noticed on highest quality settings, the output file is much larger - but know that can't make original quality any better), would I end up with the same or better result than using Vob2Mpeg? Or could it be doing some re-encoding...likely this a question for a Xilisoft pro!

5. attar

attar Senior member

I don't know the particulars of these programs - but if I was paying for them, I would find out from their FAQ's or support if they re-encode the entire project.
    If the object is to end up with a DVD, it should stay as mpeg2 until authored.

Vob2Mpg does not change the quality;the vob files are mpeg2 files and it joins up the files into one large mpeg2 file (the vob's are limited to 1 gb maximum to be dvd compliant).

Note that re-encoding means extra time is taken to create DVD compliant files - files which are already compliant do not need re-encoded, never mind the quality hit each time re-encoding takes place.

6. CajunB

CajunB Member

Will check with Xilisoft on that - they definitely can address specifics on their product...

Thanks for your quick answers! I'll run Vob2Mpg, make the edits with Video Spin (this one's a free program), save as a mpeg-2, and burn to DVD to keep the re-encoding to a minimum. Sounds a lot simpler after working through this with you - again thanks!