1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAL to NTSC in VOB Blanker

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by LJemima, Aug 29, 2010.

1. LJemima

LJemima Member

Hey guys. Trying to convert PAL to NTSC. I've done my homework with this and know there isn't any truly good way to convert between regions, but the VOB Blanker method seems to be one of the preferred solutions. If this doesn't work I'm going to buy a region free player and do a hard copy recording through Pinnacle as it plays in the new player.

I hope I'm missing something really simple, because my first attempt to convert with VOB Blanker didn't work. Please try to write your response in a kindergarten-type way, since I'm not terribly computer literate when it comes to these things.

My original files:

Video_TS.BUP
    Video_TS.IFO
    Video_TS.VOB

VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.VOB

VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_02_1.VOB
    VTS_02_2.VOB

VTS_02_0.VOB
    VTS_02_0.IFO

I opened VOB Blanker and entered the Video_TS.IFO file in the Input Video Manager. This resulted in the following being entered into the TitleSet:

Video_TS.VOB (the menu, which does preview in the preview box)
    VTS_01_*.VOB
    VTS_02_*.VOB

Not sure what the asterisk means, but I'm thinking it represents all of my VTS .VOB files. Neither shows anything in the preview box. Both of the above files are set at PAL (as they should be). When I right-clicked, I changed the properties of both to NTSC.

Clicked "Process".

Resulting files in NTSC:

Video_TS.BUP
    Video_TS.IFO
    Video_01_0.IFO
    Video_02_0.BUP
    Video_02_0.IFO

Resulting files (still) in PAL:

Video_TS.VOB
    Video_01_1.VOB
    Video_01_2.VOB
    Video_02_1.VOB
    Video_02_2.VOB

Seem to have lost VTS_01_0.VOB in the process but that's probably normal (?).

And advice?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. attar

attar Senior member

3. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

I think VobBlanker does the same thing that the IfoEdit guide is doing. This method is known as the patch method and not all players will be able to play it properly. In the guide, it also says to change the attribute for the menu. This will surely have unexpected menu display behavior and highlighting.

The easiest way is to get a multi-region player - it's cheap now.