1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove OTHER menu languages - how?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by jlrm365, Jul 6, 2010.

1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

(This is something that I have always wanted to know how to do, but haven't got around to asking for a while.)

Here are the files of an example DVD, viewed in PgcEdit:

[​IMG]
    (Click to enlarge the image.)

You can see that there are three versions of the same menu. One is in English and the other two are in French and Italian.

What I would like to do is remove the French and Italian versions, completely. How would I do that?

Of course I am aware that VobBlanker can remove the content of a menu. As far as I know, a user selects the language to be removed and then deletes the content that appears below it - like so:

[​IMG]

The trouble with that is, while it does remove the content, it leaves the cells and language references in place.

Here are the files of an example DVD, after having been run through VobBlanker (as described above), viewed in PgcEdit:

[​IMG]

You can see that the menu bases remain, despite being uncalled and with their buttons and content missing. How can I remove the French and Italian versions, completely?

What I would like is to be able to see something like this (photoshop mock-up):

[​IMG]

Is it possible? If so, how?

I certainly hope so, as I like to keep things neat and tidy.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. attar

attar Senior member

Is this a DVD where you have an initial language selection menu which allows navigation through menus of the selected language - because I none of my DVDs are like that.

There's a guide here to removing a language selection menu using PgcEdit - but since I have no DVDs with that feature, I can't say if it works.

http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/...ove_language_and_aspect_ratio_menus_intro.htm

Also, note that ifoEdit has a 'Menu Extras' feature to remove 'Language Units' - which doesn't sound like quite the same thing.

3. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

I don't know if you can see my screenshots or not, but they should help.

Removing the language selection menu is something I have been doing for a long time. It's very useful, but I saw that r0lZ tutorial quite a while ago.

What I am asking is not how to remove the language selection menu. What I am asking is how to remove entire versions of the menu set-up, that appear in other (than English) languages.

I'm not sure how to be more accurate, without repeating the initial post. If you have a look at the screenshots, you'll see what I can see and what I am hoping to achieve (mocked up with photoshop).

Thanks.

4. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

I finally found the answer. Actually, I found it a little while back, but finally got around to using it. The original post is at doom9, HERE. What it says is:

Right click on a menu and choose - Remove LU. This will remove all menus with a LU (language unit) 'sv' in your case. Then you just have to run the disc through FixVTS or VobBlanker to clean it up.

Looking at the first screenshot in this thread, what that means is to right-click the first appearance of "LU 2 (fr)" or "LU 3 (it)" and - as it says choose "Remove LU". It was a real thrill to discover that, as it's proven extremely useful.

Now a NEW (related) issue...

I have more than one disc in which the menu setup is similar, but for one important detail. There are two or three other languages, but the LUs (Language Units) are all labelled as "en" (English). What that means is that - although they are different / not English - they appear to be English and I cannot use the above idea.

How can I delete those other LUs?

My first idea is to simply change the "en" to something else. Is that the best idea? If so, how can it be done?

EDIT: I forgot the doom9 link and so added it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  5. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

Even though the other language unit menus are labeled as "en', theoretically, you can still use the "Remove LU" as the language unit number is different. Try it and see what happens.

To change to other LU, select Menu -> Change LU Language Code.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  6. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

On that disc, the units are differently numbered and so I can see how that advice might apply.

I suppose I should have made it clear that the new issue does not refer to the old screenshots. Here is a snap of what I am now looking at:

[​IMG]

Where the cursor has highlighted is the start of one of several non English menu sets, which you may be able to guess from the button patterns.

Ideally, I would be able to remove all PGCs with buttons - from the highlight down. The trouble is that all of them are labelled "en" and all of them are within the same Language Unit number. Therefore:

- I cannot "Remove LU", as that takes everything out.
    - I cannot "Change LU Language Code" either, as it changes all of them (including the "real" English menu / language unit).

It would be nice if there was a right-click option, to apply a language change to individual PGCs. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be the case.

7. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

Unfortunately, there are some DVDs that are authored with multiple language menus but in only one LU. This makes it a little bit difficult to remove unwanted menus.

Here's what you do:
    1. Select Domain -> Remap PGCs of domain. Multi-select all the unwanted PGCs and hit "To bottom" to move them to the bottom.
    2. Select Domain -> Delete last PGC in domain on all the remapped menu PGCs.
    3. Select Info -> Find jumps to nowhere. Go to each command in the list and delete the orange highlighted command.
    4. Do all the cleanup that you normally do, like removing useless titlesets, PGCs and commands. Go through all the macros under Info menu to cover all basis.
    5. Test on software player.

8. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

I will screenshot that for later.

I'm slightly sketchy as to what is meant by "macros under Info menu", in 4, but I can see the various commands and will try them. Has anyone written a guide to that menu and what's in it?

I'd normally do everything else typed, however, so there shouldn't be a problem. 1-3 and the first sentence of 4, look like the key steps anyway.

9. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

I haven't encountered a guide for that type of menu scenario.

Step 4 is the key step that does all the cleanup. I cannot be specific as each DVD is different.

The macros are simply functions to do specific tasks. Go through each "Find..." to see what it can find. Then you can execute the corresponding function under DVD menu. The "DVD -> Remove Useless Stuff" function combines all the smaller functions all in one go. Remember to use FixVTS or Vobblanker when PgcEdit is done so the unreferenced cells in the VOB can be deleted.

TBO, I haven't used all the useful functions available in PgcEdit. I only use some of them and do the real editing in DvdReMake Pro.

10. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

I'm aware of "Remove Useless Stuff", which is what I do as standard. It's very handy.

I also run things through VobBlanker, as a matter of course.

I suppose I wasn't as far off as I thought, and have done the second sentence of step 4, in a way. It seems a lot of things are right in front of us, but just need to be pointed out.

Thanks for steps 1 - 4 (first sentence). All seems to be well, as I've used them on a less complicated menu and things seem to be fine.

My next issue is dealing with the pause, resulting from layer breaks. I've finally moved into backing up on dual layer discs, after a couple of years of re-authoring to fit DVD5s.

That's another issue, however. If you'd like to message me directly, you'd be more than welcome. Otherwise, I will post elsewhere.

Thanks.

11. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

Glad you got it done.

As for dealing with layer break and burning to DL, use Imgburn. Read this thread and note my rule of thumb in post #6,21: http://club.myce.com/f153/imgburn-setting-layer-break-222608/

If your player supports seamless playback, then check the Seamless box in "Create Layer Break Position" dialog. The result is no pause when switching layer during playback.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010