1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened to these forums?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by 8686, Jul 21, 2011.

1. 8686

8686 Member

Sorry DDP, I know this will get moved but these forums used to be THE place to go. It seems like a ghost town now. What happened?

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I would have to agree but unfortunately, in my opinion, AfterDawn isn't a very appealing site to visit anymore. The UK site has never really gained much attention from the Admins other than to implement necessary coding/updates and other generic changes. It's always seemed like there has been a reluctance to have any UK based staff running this part of the site (if I am wrong in saying so, who are they?).

With this reluctance they've forfeited good relations with the average poster and, as has been pointed out lots of times, the forums are falling ever-rapidly into disarray. It's the same reluctance that then leads to no changes being made because they presumably have no idea regarding who to appoint to where, to perhaps make a difference.

It doesn't help that many redundant forums have been kept, there is no order whatsoever to the 'active' forums and it doesn't feel as if any effort has been made to keep the forums remotely "current".

I wouldn't go as far as to say it is a lost cause, but a very good member-base from say 4 years ago is all but long gone, and without the injection of new members it won't be long before it completely dies. Hopefully dRD or Ketola will eventually act on what they presumably actually realise is happening, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

posted in the mod lounge by drd in febuary of this year

5. aldan

aldan Active member

well put.

6. attar

attar Senior member

Other sites are seeing the same drop in traffic;the Afterdawn problem was made worse by the explosion in spam.
    Since DVD burning ( a huge traffic generator with Nero) has fallen off a cliff in favour of flash drives and media players, I doubt that those users will be coming back.
    A Tech Support forum (registration being mandatory unless strict policing is practiced by the Mods) would perhaps draw back the senior members who have withdrawn from actively responding - inasmuch as their general knowledge, a by-product of learning video skills, would be useful in the new setting.
    As was alluded to above, the tactful handling of queries generates as much good will and traffic as does the resolution of a question - you only have to look at Doom9 to conclude that knowing the answer before you ask is a requirement for some members before they will notice you.

7. 8686

8686 Member

Once they changed their site structure I got lost. It's too confusing now. There are too many places to post things. For instance, this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-200/blu_ray_compression-890483/2

was put under the forum "Blu-ray Players" but this thread cannot be found on the horizontal menu bar of that page. You have to go to the main page and scroll all the way down to Home Theater. This is a thread about how to use a particular software. It doesn't belong here. There are 10 different topics that this could be posted under. Video Software discussion, Blu-Ray ripping, etc. I think there is too much overlapping in the topic area. And if anyone is like me, I would rather post in a more populated thread (even if the topic may be a little off) just because its going to get more traffic.

If I had a problem where my BR burner was not burning properly and I had no idea what could be the cause I wouldn't know where to post. PS3 Hardware, software, dvd/BR drives, windows software, ps3 everything else, BLU ray ripping, video software disc, etc.

8. Mez

Mez Active member

All great points!

ddp you get around the forms much more than I but I rarely see a newbie get ribbed for ignorance. They are told what they did wrong and how to do things right. Gross stupidity with a know it all attitude, rudeness, etc is a different story.

I never thought about the momentum of a forum like this has. Less posts means less new traffic.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  9. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

sometimes I will rip some idiot posting about crapdoze in the linux forum..they should expect to be treated like retards asking how to remove a perfectly good linux installation and replace it with that proprietary garbage.. so they get what they deserve... which by the way.. IF they read how to install the pirated winsleep7 they have got from somewhere they would find out HOW to install it..

10. Mez

Mez Active member

That is gross stupidity I have trouble rolling out the red carpet for them.