1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Videos on side

Discussion in 'Samsung discussion' started by deezalboy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

Videos taken vertically on my Samsung Galaxy 2, save to the phone Gallery the correct way up, but when i import them to my computer, Windows XP, they are on their side requiring to be rotated. Rotation, i don`t know how to.
    Photos taken, save to Gallery on the phone on their side and can be rotated on the computer.
    So, (1) Why are the videos on their side when imported to the computer? (2) Why do the photos take to the phone on the side and have to be rotated? (3) How to rotate the videos?
    When i take the photos with the phone i hold the phone steadily in a vertical position..
    Please offer advice.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Assume the camera takes 640x480 video in landscape (horizontal).
    You rotate the camera so that it's 480x640 in portrait (vertical).
    The video information is still flagged with 640x480 width and height in ratio 4:3.
    It has to be flagged as something because you might start of holding it horizontally and in the same clip start rotating it to the vertical and you can't have two different resolutions in the same clip.
    The PC reads the flagged values and that's what you see.

The images on the left pane show what the camera saw in the vertical (480x640)and above it is what the pc is told by the flag (640x480).
    The right pane shows the image rotated using a 'rotate' filter - it's now 480x640.
    The TV display fills in black pillars on the sides of the now 480x640 image..
    You can use the likes of AviDemux or VirtualDub to rotate and save video.
    For still images, I use IrfanView - it has a lossless rotation filter.

[​IMG]

edit:spelling, whatnot.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. deezalboy

deezalboy Regular member

When taking the video vertically the picture is the correct way up and saves to the gallery the same, horizontally is the same.