1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

canon ef 135mm f 2.0 mounted on canon EOS 500d?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by Schwaber, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Hi guys!

Alright, to start things off. I am really investing my money right now on Canon's EF 135 f 2.0 lens. However, my DSLR is only the EOS 500D, also known as the rebel t1i here in north america. Anyhow, I was just curious if people have already tried mounting a 135mm f 2.0 lens on a compact dlsr like the rebel t1i? If so, what are you assessment on it. Would you recommend it?

Thanks in Advance!

Schwaber

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

there are really 2 things to take into consideration.. both basic photography matters..

focal length internally.. and image size on target .. you will have to hunt really hard to dig up those particular numbers.. they are both vitally important to correct operation..

I have a feeling you will find it won't work.. the compacts usually have the ccd right behind the lens.. the full size bodies (that accept the c-mount and other lenses) have a larger ccd (with more or larger pixels) further away.. and the internal focal distance of the lenses reflect this. It isn't something that can be changed either.. it's usually stated in the specs in mm's or 1/10th's of a mm

the only other matter is will it actually physically fit

3. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Okay, I see.

I'm pretty sure the canon ef 135mm f2.0 will physically fit my rebel t1i. Perhaps I should have been more precise when I posed my question.

I just need to know how it would feel like, physically...

And BTW, have you tried mounting bigger lenses on compact dlsr's?

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

nope.. just a one time fully qualified filmmaker.

If the body has mounts which fit then it should be plug and play.. same as a 35mm camera .. if it doesn't have the mounts you will probably have trouble.

I have swapped a c-mount for a screw mount on one of my big slr's .. only had to remove the iris auto pin first.. no matter.. manual is just fine.

Those are the kinds of problems you can run into. I think you would get better help on a specific photography forum where people own the gear and understand properly what you are doing. All I know about digital photography could be written on the inside of a gum wrapper.

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

here is your camera:
    http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos500d

all Canon EF lenses and EF-S lenses will fit ..... and it will work properly!

is this your lens:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_135mm_f_2l_usm
    good lens!

how does it feel? it's a camera! it will feel like a camera! I've been taking pictures since 1970's and I haven't heard that question before. you can check out my pictures here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/27531361@N08/

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  6. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@ RohitMehar........ if you have a question then you should start a new thread asking that question. Asking your question inside of another thread is called HIJACKING the thread....

meanwhile....... Canon is a good brand of cameras ....... but what camera are you looking to buy? and what are your parameters of features are you looking for in a camera. Are you and experienced photographer or do you want a "point and shoot" camera? Please start a new thread to ask your question!