1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus on Fireworks

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by HenryCan, May 21, 2012.

1. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

Can anyone suggest a good way to get a sharp focus on fireworks?

I have a Canon T1i DSLR and would like to shoot video of fireworks displays in my community. When I tried this last year, I could not get anything resembling a sharp focus.

I'm a lousy judge of distance so I wasn't sure how far away the fireworks were. They were in a large park and I was in the park but I didn't know how many meters/yards I was from the fireworks and, of course, the fireworks travelled a substantial distance as they exploded.

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Chances are you would be more than 100 feet/30 meters away. Just set your focus (manually) on Infinity. Anything closer could be slightly out of focus. Everything further away should be fine.

3. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

How do I set my focus on Infinity with the T1i? Do I need to turn off autofocus first? I'm guessing I do because if I just find a piece of empty sky, the autofocus will just keep trying to guess what my center of interest is....

4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

YES. You turn off the auto focus and set the focus manually.

I am also using a T1i and there is a little switch on the lens marked as AF (auto focus) and M (manual).