1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! .mov files suddenly corrupted!

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by seagrave, Oct 21, 2010.

1. seagrave

seagrave Regular member

I bought a Canon SX130IS just before I went on vacation and I was very impressed with it... especially considering the problems I had with the older SX120IS. I shot about 18gigs of standard def video and they played fine from the SD cards. So to free the cards up I moved all the .mov files to an external drive and started to index them. The first ones played fine on VLC but I had problems with one freezing at the end. Then the rest would not play... even the first ones I updated VLC and QT and now get errors on all of them that the files are corrupted.

I tried one data recovery program on an SD card and those videos that were supposedly in fine shape don't play.

Any ideas?

BTW I exported using the card reader in my Vista PC... not using the Canon software. There's some .ctg file there in a CANONMSC folder... but it's too small to hold critical info for all 60 or so videos per card... right? I'm thinking of copying some back to the original card and trying the software.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. seagrave

seagrave Regular member

I think my problem is bigger than I thought... or maybe not. I tried to run chkdsk on the external drive to find it's seen by Vista as a RAW drive instead of NTFS. Seems I was unfortunate enough to move these videos on to a drive that was about to croak. So I'm now looking at data recovery for what I hope are NOT corrupted files instead of fixing corrupted files. I've done data recovery before so I may be OK. Time will tell.

3. seagrave

seagrave Regular member

Whew! Yup, all the problems playing the files was because the external drive was dying. When today I was offered a chance to do a chkdsk the files played for a while then the playback problem started again. I shut it down and the second time I was only given an option to format the disk. Since the external was my old ATA drive from my old PC I installed it back in the old PC and used a data recovery program which was successful. Which is fortunate since I was NOT having any luck recovering usable files from the SD cards. For someone who usually has two backups of my files... a weekly system backup and a daily file backup, it was a stupidly careless act to not copy the files from the SD cards so there'd be redundancy.