1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help in getting a good sd card

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by lostlight, Sep 9, 2011.

1. lostlight

lostlight Member

not to sure if a should post here

i got a new digital camera its a sony dsc-tx100v its says it can use sd/sdhc/sdxc type cards but doesn't say about the class or anything else so was wondering would a class 16 or a uhs-1 work and also would i need a fast card to get the max bit-rate for video recording i only get about 25mbps hd video but it can go up to 28mbps

thanks to anyone that can help

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I am not a card expert, but I would say buy the fastest card you can afford with the largest capacity that you can afford.

I have found Newegg to be a reliable company (I own no stock with them). They have a good website with lots of info and customer feedback. Have a problem - they have good customer service.

Link - http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=68&name=Flash-Memory

Check out their available cards and be sure to read their "Learning Center" links near the bottom on the left side. BTW I use a Transcend card in my Cannon T1i.

3. lostlight

lostlight Member

thanks for your help

i think i might get one of these cards
    pretec
    pny

4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

You are welcome.

I did see a couple of sdxc cards listed on Amazon and Newegg (seem rather expensive). Guess they must be newer/faster that what I am using. But yours seem like good choices to me.

Be sure to check around for pricing. When I got mine (a while back) it cost HALF the price at Newegg versus what Best Buy wanted, for example. So prices can vary a great deal.

Also, I found that the card reader (on my PC) did not handle sdhc cards. I could buy another reader - not that expensive or just transfer using the USB cable from the camera to the PC. I chose the USB cable route so I did not need to take the card in and out a lot.

ENJOY!!

5. lostlight

lostlight Member

6. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Be sure to read the customer reviews, wherever you choose to buy, and pick the one you feel comfortable with.