AfterDawn Forums

3 red lights after applying artic silver 5

This discussion thread has 10 messages.

can anyone help me please i have a brand new jasper xbox 360 elite and yesterday i removed the xclamps to apply artic silver 5 to it because from my experiences in the past microsoft dont put enough on.i have done this in the past without ever a problem. i put it all back together and i got 3 red lights. i opened it back up and checked that everything was connected properly and it was.i also checked the xclamps and they are tight not loose.i checked the secondary code and i am getting error 0031. does anyone have any idea what is wrong ? when i try to power the 360 on the button is green for a split second the fan starts to spin and then it all stops and it turns into 3 red lights any help would be appreciated this unit is brand new.
▼▼ This topic has 9 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Have you put too much paste on? Try removing it all ans applying only a thin layer. Make sure you dont have any AS5 on the contacts and if that doesnt help you will need a reflow.

To get instant assistance with Flashing / JTAG / Homebrew from experts for free! click me (Im not one of the said experts BTW)

Make poverty history, cheaper drugs NOW!
Originally posted by miketrev:
Have you put too much paste on? Try removing it all ans applying only a thin layer. Make sure you dont have any AS5 on the contacts and if that doesnt help you will need a reflow.
sorry mate which contacts do you mean ?
the tiny chips around the CPU,

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Apr 2010 @ 5:24

To get instant assistance with Flashing / JTAG / Homebrew from experts for free! click me (Im not one of the said experts BTW)

ok i will try thanks miketrev i think i do have artic silver on them if so does that mean the 360 is knackered ?
Shouldnt think so, you have prolly just losed a cracked solder joint, which should be fixed with a reflow (if the re-apply of the paste doesnt work)

As its quite a new box (jasper), I would prolly go with a proper reflow (with a rework station) rather than the heatgun method. It will cost you about $40, but it will be much more reliable.

My advice is to leave the jaspers alone. I've never heard of a RR jasper.
well i have one now :) gonna try fixing it now
0031 is a faulty ram brick. It's possible that it's because of a cold solder joint in which case a reflow would be the best option. However it's possible that something else is physically wrong with the ram...you didnt slip and damage anything when removing the x-clamp did you?

no i didnt slip or anything like that. no reapplying the artic silver didnt work and i tried the xclamp fix and that didnt work either so i stripped the xbox of anything usefull ie. 8 series drive, cooler, clamps etc and threw the rest out in the bin. gonna buy a new arcade tomorrow morning and put my elite case on it . they are selling them in hmv for 139 euro at the moment which is the cheapest around at the moment thanks for the info w00ly about code 0031 i couldnt find info on it any where. i not gonna mess this one up :)
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Apr 2010 @ 17:05
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.